Subject: [PATCH 0/4] reset/checkout: fix miscellaneous sparse index bugs

From: "Victoria Dye via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2022 20:46:03 +0000

While working on sparse index integration for 'git rm' [1], Shaoxuan found
that removed sparse directories, when reset, would no longer be sparse. This
was due to how 'unpack_trees()' determined whether a traversed directory was
a sparse directory or not; it would only unpack an entry as a sparse
directory if it existed in the index. However, if the sparse directory was
removed, it would be treated like a non-sparse directory and its contents
would be individually unpacked.

To avoid this unnecessary traversal and keep the results of 'reset' as
sparse as possible, the decision logic for whether a directory is sparse is
changed to:

 * If the directory is a sparse directory in the index, unpack it.
 * If not, is the directory inside the sparse cone? If so, do not unpack it.
 * If the directory is outside the sparse cone, does it have any child
   entries in the index? If so, do not unpack it.
 * Otherwise, unpack the entry as a sparse directory.

In the process of updating 'reset', a separate issue was found in 'checkout'
where collapsed sparse directories did not have modified contents reported
file-by-file. A similar bug was found with 'status' in 2c521b0e49 (status:
fix nested sparse directory diff in sparse index, 2022-03-01), and
'checkout' was corrected the same way (setting the diff flag 'recursive' to
1).

Thanks!

 * Victoria

[1]
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Victoria Dye (4):
  checkout: fix nested sparse directory diff in sparse index
  oneway_diff: handle removed sparse directories
  cache.h: replace 'index_entry_exists()' with 'index_name_pos_sparse()'
  unpack-trees: handle missing sparse directories

 builtin/checkout.c                       |  1 +
 cache-tree.c                             |  2 +-
 cache.h                                  | 15 ++--
 diff-lib.c                               |  5 ++
 read-cache.c                             |  4 +-
 t/t1092-sparse-checkout-compatibility.sh | 25 +++++++
 unpack-trees.c                           | 88 +++++++++++++++++++++---
 7 files changed, 119 insertions(+), 21 deletions(-)

base-commit: 4af7188bc97f70277d0f10d56d5373022b1fa385
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1312%2Fvdye%2Freset%2Fhandle-missing-dirs-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1312/vdye/reset/handle-missing-dirs-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1312
-- 
gitgitgadget