Subject: [PATCH 0/3] Show original filenames in merge tree

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 06:57:33 +0000

The git merge-tree command has not seen much of real-world usage (because it
only recently learned to do something actually useful, and those changes
have not been part of any official Git version yet), which means that we are
prone to find corner-cases where we want to improve it in ways that we had
not originally foreseen.

I had the chance to give it some real-world exposure and noticed the
following concern: So far, git merge-tree shows munged file names in its
output that would make sense if the corresponding files were written to disk
(you cannot write a file and a directory of the same name, after all). But
for an application or a web service relying on git merge-tree to operate in
worktree-less mode, it makes much more sense to show the original file names
because that's what the user needs to see.

So let's do that.

Note: The written-out tree object still uses the munged names, as do the
conflict messages. But the machine-parseable part now consistently uses the
original file names.

Also note: This patch series addresses a bug where the ls-files -u-formatted
output would not reveal the correct file names in a rename/rename conflict.

This patch series is based on en/merge-tree.

Johannes Schindelin (3):
  merge-tree -z: always show the original file name first
  merge-tree: show the original file names in the conflict output
  t4301: add a test case involving a rename, type change & modification

 builtin/merge-tree.c             |  2 +-
 merge-ort.c                      | 16 +++++-----
 merge-ort.h                      |  1 +
 t/t4069-remerge-diff.sh          |  8 ++---
 t/t4301-merge-tree-write-tree.sh | 54 +++++++++++++++++++++++++-------
 5 files changed, 57 insertions(+), 24 deletions(-)

base-commit: 7260e87248e743b197d34c1caf3949ae4fa3bc12
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1327%2Fdscho%2Fshow-original-filenames-in-merge-tree-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1327/dscho/show-original-filenames-in-merge-tree-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1327
-- 
gitgitgadget