Subject: [PATCH 0/7] Bundle URIs III: Parse and download from bundle lists

From: "Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 15:12:47 +0000

This is the third series building the bundle URI feature. It is built on top
of ds/bundle-uri-clone, which introduced 'git clone --bundle-uri=' where is
a URI to a bundle file. This series adds the capability of downloading and
parsing a bundle list and then downloading the URIs in that list.

The core functionality of bundle lists is implemented by creating data
structures from a list of key-value pairs. These pairs can come from a
plain-text file in Git config format, but in the future, we will support the
list being supplied by packet lines over Git's protocol v2 in the
'bundle-uri' command (reserved for the next series).

The patches are organized in this way:

 1. Patches 1-2 create the bundle list data structures and the logic for
    populating the list from key-value pairs.

 2. Patches 3-4 teach Git to parse "key=value" lines to construct a bundle
    list. Add unit tests that ensure this logic constructs lists correctly.
    These patches are adapted from Ævar's RFC [1] and were previously seen
    in my combined RFC [2].

 3. Patch 5 teaches Git to parse Git config files into bundle lists.

 4. Patches 6-7 implement the ability to download a bundle list and
    recursively download the contained bundles (and possibly the bundle
    lists within). This is limited by a constant depth to avoid issues with
    cycles or otherwise incorrectly configured bundle lists.

[1]
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

[2]
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

At the end of this series, users can bootstrap clones using 'git clone
--bundle-uri= ' where points to a bundle list instead of a single bundle
file.

As outlined in the design document [1], the next steps after this are:

 1. Implement the protocol v2 verb, re-using the bundle list logic from (2).
    Use this to auto-discover bundle URIs during 'git clone' (behind a
    config option). [2]
 2. Implement the 'creationToken' heuristic, allowing incremental 'git
    fetch' commands to download a bundle list from a configured URI, and
    only download bundles that are new based on the creation token values.
    [3]

I have prepared some of this work as pull requests on my personal fork so
curious readers can look ahead to where we are going:

[3]
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]

[4] https://github.com/derrickstolee/git/pull/21

[5] https://github.com/derrickstolee/git/pull/22

Thanks,

 * Stolee

Derrick Stolee (5):
  bundle-uri: create bundle_list struct and helpers
  bundle-uri: create base key-value pair parsing
  bundle-uri: parse bundle list in config format
  bundle-uri: limit recursion depth for bundle lists
  bundle-uri: fetch a list of bundles

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason (2):
  bundle-uri: create "key=value" line parsing
  bundle-uri: unit test "key=value" parsing

 Documentation/config.txt        |   2 +
 Documentation/config/bundle.txt |  22 ++
 Makefile                        |   1 +
 bundle-uri.c                    | 442 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-
 bundle-uri.h                    |  98 ++++++-
 t/helper/test-bundle-uri.c      |  90 +++++++
 t/helper/test-tool.c            |   1 +
 t/helper/test-tool.h            |   1 +
 t/t5558-clone-bundle-uri.sh     |  93 +++++++
 t/t5750-bundle-uri-parse.sh     | 141 ++++++++++
 t/test-lib-functions.sh         |  11 +
 11 files changed, 889 insertions(+), 13 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 Documentation/config/bundle.txt
 create mode 100644 t/helper/test-bundle-uri.c
 create mode 100755 t/t5750-bundle-uri-parse.sh

base-commit: e21e663cd1942df29979d3e01f7eacb532727bb7
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1333%2Fderrickstolee%2Fbundle-redo%2Flist-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1333/derrickstolee/bundle-redo/list-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1333
-- 
gitgitgadget