Subject: [PATCH 0/3] A couple of CI fixes regarding the built-in add --patch

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 13:54:21 +0000

This is an attempt to address the concern Junio raised in
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/: originally
motivated by a test suite failure when running Git's test suite in Visual
Studio, this pulls out the signed vs unsigned fix whose implications are
potentially much wider than Visual C.

While in that space, I spent the time (which took almost as long as I
expected
[https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/])
to craft a semantic patch to scrutinize Git's source code for similar issues
(narrator's voice: there were no other instances, what did ya expect?).

To verify the fix, I then worked on a patch to exercise the built-in git add
-p in the test suite even when NO_PERL is set, and while developing this
patch and validating it, I got really puzzled that the add -p test case in
t6132 did not need to be guarded behind a PERL prereq. So this patch series
also includes a fix for that.

The story arc that binds all of these patches together is that they all
revolve around NO_PERL and CI issues that involve git add --patch.

Note: This patch series is based on ds/github-actions-use-newer-ubuntu (but
probably applies cleanly even on maint) because I tried to develop a
semantic patch to fix similar issues in the code base. However, I've since
run into what looks like a bug in Coccinelle
[https://github.com/coccinelle/coccinelle/issues/284]. My latest version of
that semantic patch looks like this, but I stopped when running it on Git's
source code triggered the bug for 66 of Git's .c files:

@@
type T = { unsigned int };
T:n b;
type S != { unsigned int, size_t };
S s;
binary operator o != { &&, || };
@@
-s o b
+s o (S)b

@@
type T = { unsigned int };
T:n b;
type S != { unsigned int, size_t };
S s;
binary operator o != { &&, || };
@@
-b o s
+(S)b o s

Johannes Schindelin (3):
  add -p: avoid ambiguous signed/unsigned comparison
  t3701: test the built-in `add -i` regardless of NO_PERL
  t6132(NO_PERL): do not run the scripted `add -p`

 add-patch.c                 | 2 +-
 t/t3701-add-interactive.sh  | 4 ++--
 t/t6132-pathspec-exclude.sh | 6 +++++-
 3 files changed, 8 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

base-commit: ef46584831268a83591412a33783caf866867482
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1340%2Fdscho%2Fbuilt-in-add-i-does-not-need-perl-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1340/dscho/built-in-add-i-does-not-need-perl-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1340
-- 
gitgitgadget