Subject: [PATCH 00/12] fsmonitor: Implement fsmonitor for Linux

From: "Eric DeCosta via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2022 14:37:26 +0000

Goal is to deliver fsmonitor for Linux that is on par with fsmonitor for
Windows and Mac OS.

This patch set builds upon previous work for done for Windows and Mac OS
(first 6 patches) to implement a fsmonitor back-end for Linux based on the
Linux inotify API. inotify differs significantly from the equivalent Windows
and Mac OS APIs in that a watch must be registered for every directory of
interest (rather than a singular watch at the root of the directory tree)
and special care must be taken to handle directory renames correctly.

More information about inotify:
https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/inotify.7.html

Eric DeCosta (12):
  fsmonitor: refactor filesystem checks to common interface
  fsmonitor: relocate socket file if .git directory is remote
  fsmonitor: avoid socket location check if using hook
  fsmonitor: deal with synthetic firmlinks on macOS
  fsmonitor: check for compatability before communicating with fsmonitor
  fsmonitor: add documentation for allowRemote and socketDir options
  fsmonitor: prepare to share code between Mac OS and Linux
  fsmonitor: determine if filesystem is local or remote
  fsmonitor: implement filesystem change listener for Linux
  fsmonitor: enable fsmonitor for Linux
  fsmonitor: test updates
  fsmonitor: update doc for Linux

 Documentation/config.txt                      |   2 +
 Documentation/config/fsmonitor--daemon.txt    |  11 +
 Documentation/git-fsmonitor--daemon.txt       |  45 +-
 Makefile                                      |   6 +-
 builtin/fsmonitor--daemon.c                   |  11 +-
 ...{fsm-health-darwin.c => fsm-health-unix.c} |   0
 compat/fsmonitor/fsm-ipc-unix.c               |  52 ++
 compat/fsmonitor/fsm-ipc-win32.c              |   9 +
 compat/fsmonitor/fsm-listen-darwin.c          |  14 +-
 compat/fsmonitor/fsm-listen-linux.c           | 664 ++++++++++++++++++
 compat/fsmonitor/fsm-path-utils-darwin.c      | 135 ++++
 compat/fsmonitor/fsm-path-utils-linux.c       | 163 +++++
 compat/fsmonitor/fsm-path-utils-win32.c       | 145 ++++
 compat/fsmonitor/fsm-settings-darwin.c        |  89 ---
 compat/fsmonitor/fsm-settings-unix.c          |  62 ++
 compat/fsmonitor/fsm-settings-win32.c         | 174 +----
 config.mak.uname                              |  13 +
 contrib/buildsystems/CMakeLists.txt           |  19 +-
 fsmonitor--daemon.h                           |   3 +
 fsmonitor-ipc.c                               |  18 +-
 fsmonitor-ipc.h                               |   4 +-
 fsmonitor-path-utils.h                        |  60 ++
 fsmonitor-settings.c                          |  68 +-
 fsmonitor-settings.h                          |   4 +-
 fsmonitor.c                                   |   7 +
 t/t7527-builtin-fsmonitor.sh                  |  58 +-
 26 files changed, 1531 insertions(+), 305 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 Documentation/config/fsmonitor--daemon.txt
 rename compat/fsmonitor/{fsm-health-darwin.c => fsm-health-unix.c} (100%)
 create mode 100644 compat/fsmonitor/fsm-ipc-unix.c
 create mode 100644 compat/fsmonitor/fsm-ipc-win32.c
 create mode 100644 compat/fsmonitor/fsm-listen-linux.c
 create mode 100644 compat/fsmonitor/fsm-path-utils-darwin.c
 create mode 100644 compat/fsmonitor/fsm-path-utils-linux.c
 create mode 100644 compat/fsmonitor/fsm-path-utils-win32.c
 delete mode 100644 compat/fsmonitor/fsm-settings-darwin.c
 create mode 100644 compat/fsmonitor/fsm-settings-unix.c
 create mode 100644 fsmonitor-path-utils.h

base-commit: 3dcec76d9df911ed8321007b1d197c1a206dc164
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-git-1352%2Fedecosta-mw%2Ffsmonitor_linux-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-git-1352/edecosta-mw/fsmonitor_linux-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/git/git/pull/1352
-- 
gitgitgadget