Subject: [PATCH 0/2] check-docs: fix 'diagnose' and 'version'

From: "Victoria Dye via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 00:19:53 +0000

While locally verifying an unrelated documentation change, I noticed that
the 'check-docs' target displayed two warnings on the 'master' branch:

no link: git-diagnose
removed but documented: git-version

The first message was due to the introduction of 'git diagnose' [1] not
including a corresponding update to 'command-list.txt'; the latter was due
to 'git-version' not being built as a standalone builtin executable. This
series corrects both, adding 'git-diagnose' and 'git-version' as
"ancilliaryinterrogators" to 'command-list.txt' and building a 'git-version'
executable.

A possible future improvement to avoid this sort of thing could be to have
'check-docs' exit with an error if it encounters any issues (rather than
printing a warning that's easily lost in build logs). For now, though, this
series is restricted to fixing what's currently broken for ease of review
and minimal risk.

Maintainer's note: if this would be too much of a disruption to include in
v2.38 last-minute, I'm happy deferring it to the next release cycle.
Alternatively, the series could be split, aiming to review & merge the first
patch in this release cycle (since the 'git diagnose' error was introduced
in this version) and leave the second the next cycle.

Thanks!

 * Victoria

[1]
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Victoria Dye (2):
  diagnose: add to command-list.txt
  version: fix builtin linking & documentation

 .gitignore       | 1 +
 Makefile         | 1 +
 command-list.txt | 2 ++
 3 files changed, 4 insertions(+)

base-commit: dda7228a83e2e9ff584bf6adbf55910565b41e14
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1360%2Fvdye%2Fbugfix%2Fcheck-docs-fixes-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1360/vdye/bugfix/check-docs-fixes-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1360
-- 
gitgitgadget