Subject: [PATCH 0/9] Trace2 timers and counters and some cleanup

From: "Jeff Hostetler via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2022 16:19:58 +0000

This patch series add stopwatch timers and global counters to the trace2
logging facility. It also does a little housecleaning.

This is basically a rewrite of the series that I submitted back in December
2021: [1] and [2]. Hopefully, it addresses all of the concerns raised back
then and does it in a way that avoids the issues that stalled that effort.

First we start with a few housecleaning commits:

 * The first 2 commits are unrelated to this effort, but were required to
   get the existing code to compile on my Mac with Clang 11.0.0 with
   DEVELOPER=1. Those can be dropped if there is a better way to do this.

 * The 3rd commit is in response a concern about using int rather than
   size_t for nr and alloc in an ALLOC_GROW() in existing trace2 code.

 * The 4th commit cleans up my use of the term "TLS" in my thread code.

 * The 5th and 6th commits (hopefully) clear up the misunderstandings around
   the thread_name variable in my thread context structures. My earlier
   attempts to clean and clarify this led to most of the controversies in
   the earlier patch series. Hopefully, these 2 commits will improve the
   clarify matters.

 * The 7th commit cleans up a mostly obsolete section in the trace2 API
   documentation.

Finally, the last 2 commits add the stopwatch timers and the global
counters.

[1]
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
[2]
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Jeff Hostetler (9):
  builtin/merge-file: fix compiler warning on MacOS with clang 11.0.0
  builtin/unpack-objects.c: fix compiler warning on MacOS with clang
    11.0.0
  trace2: use size_t alloc,nr_open_regions in tr2tls_thread_ctx
  tr2tls: clarify TLS terminology
  trace2: rename trace2 thread_name argument as name_hint
  trace2: convert ctx.thread_name to flex array
  api-trace2.txt: elminate section describing the public trace2 API
  trace2: add stopwatch timers
  trace2: add global counter mechanism

 Documentation/technical/api-trace2.txt | 190 +++++++++++++++++--------
 Makefile                               |   2 +
 builtin/merge-file.c                   |   4 +-
 builtin/unpack-objects.c               |   2 +-
 t/helper/test-trace2.c                 | 187 ++++++++++++++++++++++++
 t/t0211-trace2-perf.sh                 |  95 +++++++++++++
 t/t0211/scrub_perf.perl                |   6 +
 trace2.c                               | 121 +++++++++++++++-
 trace2.h                               | 101 +++++++++++--
 trace2/tr2_ctr.c                       | 101 +++++++++++++
 trace2/tr2_ctr.h                       | 104 ++++++++++++++
 trace2/tr2_tgt.h                       |  14 ++
 trace2/tr2_tgt_event.c                 |  47 +++++-
 trace2/tr2_tgt_normal.c                |  39 +++++
 trace2/tr2_tgt_perf.c                  |  49 ++++++-
 trace2/tr2_tls.c                       |  43 +++---
 trace2/tr2_tls.h                       |  52 ++++---
 trace2/tr2_tmr.c                       | 182 +++++++++++++++++++++++
 trace2/tr2_tmr.h                       | 140 ++++++++++++++++++
 19 files changed, 1366 insertions(+), 113 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 trace2/tr2_ctr.c
 create mode 100644 trace2/tr2_ctr.h
 create mode 100644 trace2/tr2_tmr.c
 create mode 100644 trace2/tr2_tmr.h

base-commit: 3dcec76d9df911ed8321007b1d197c1a206dc164
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1373%2Fjeffhostetler%2Ftrace2-stopwatch-v4-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1373/jeffhostetler/trace2-stopwatch-v4-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1373
-- 
gitgitgadget