Subject: [PATCH 0/3] [RFC] tests: add test_todo() for known failures

From: "Phillip Wood via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2022 15:01:13 +0000

test_todo() is intended as a fine grained alternative to
test_expect_failure(). Rather than marking the whole test as failing
test_todo() is used to mark individual failing commands within a test. This
approach to writing failing tests allows us to detect unexpected failures
that are hidden by test_expect_failure().

This series attempts to keep most of the benefits test_expect_todo()
previously proposed by Ævar[1] while being simpler to use.

[1]
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Phillip Wood (3):
  [RFC] tests: add test_todo() to mark known breakages
  [RFC] test_todo: allow [!] grep as the command
  [RFC] test_todo: allow [verbose] test as the command

 t/README                        |  12 ++
 t/t0000-basic.sh                |  92 +++++++++++++++
 t/t0050-filesystem.sh           |   4 +-
 t/t3401-rebase-and-am-rename.sh |  12 +-
 t/t3424-rebase-empty.sh         |   6 +-
 t/t3510-cherry-pick-sequence.sh |  12 +-
 t/t3600-rm.sh                   |   8 +-
 t/t3903-stash.sh                |  12 +-
 t/t4014-format-patch.sh         |  20 ++--
 t/test-lib-functions.sh         | 194 +++++++++++++++++++++++++-------
 10 files changed, 293 insertions(+), 79 deletions(-)

base-commit: bcd6bc478adc4951d57ec597c44b12ee74bc88fb
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1374%2Fphillipwood%2Ftest-todo-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1374/phillipwood/test-todo-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1374
-- 
gitgitgadget