Subject: [PATCH v2 0/2] rebase: mark --update-refs as requiring the merge backend

From: "Elijah Newren via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 04:56:11 +0000

--update-refs is built in terms of the sequencer, which requires the merge
backend. It was already marked as incompatible with the apply backend in the
git-rebase manual, but the code didn't check for this incompatibility and
warn the user. Check and warn now.

While at it, fix a typo in t3422...and fix some misleading wording (all
useful options other than --whitespace=fix have long since been implemented
in the merge backend).

Changes since v1:

 * Add a patch nuking the -C option to rebase (fixes confusion around the
   comment in t3422 and acknowledges the fact that the option is totally and
   utterly useless and always has been. It literally never affects the
   results of a rebase.)

Signed-off-by: Elijah Newren [email-masked]

Elijah Newren (2):
  rebase: remove completely useless -C option
  rebase: mark --update-refs as requiring the merge backend

 Documentation/git-rebase.txt           |  9 ---------
 builtin/rebase.c                       | 12 ++++--------
 t/t3406-rebase-message.sh              |  7 -------
 t/t3422-rebase-incompatible-options.sh | 16 ++++++++++------
 4 files changed, 14 insertions(+), 30 deletions(-)

base-commit: 2b4f5a4e4bb102ac8d967cea653ed753b608193c
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1466%2Fnewren%2Frebase-update-refs-imply-merge-v2
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1466/newren/rebase-update-refs-imply-merge-v2
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1466

Range-diff vs v1:

 -:  ----------- > 1:  a0f8f5fac1c rebase: remove completely useless -C option
 1:  f7459f0996b = 2:  2e44d0b7e57 rebase: mark --update-refs as requiring the merge backend

-- 
gitgitgadget