Subject: [PATCH 0/2] Let's use the Win32 API more precisely

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2019 02:37:17 -0700 (PDT)

For many Win32 functions, there actually exist two variants: one that takes 
const char * ("ANSI", meaning the current code page) and wchar_t * 
("Unicode", i.e. UTF-16, at least for all practical matters).

These functions have "A" and "W" suffixes, respectively, e.g. 
GetFileAttributesW(). The symbols without this suffix are #defined to the 
*W() versions if the constant UNICODE is defined before including the
Windows headers, and to *A() otherwise.

Let's not rely on this constant, but explicitly say what we want: we want
the Unicode versions, as they seem to be used by the ANSI flavor anyway.

Johannes Schindelin (2):
  mingw: get pw_name in UTF-8 format
  mingw: use Unicode functions explicitly

 compat/mingw.c     | 12 +++++++++---
 compat/poll/poll.c |  2 +-
 compat/winansi.c   | 10 ++++++----
 3 files changed, 16 insertions(+), 8 deletions(-)

base-commit: aa25c82427ae70aebf3b8f970f2afd54e9a2a8c6
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-147%2Fdscho%2Fansi-unicode-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-147/dscho/ansi-unicode-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/147
-- 
gitgitgadget