Subject: [PATCH] Document the output format of ls-remote

From: "Sean Allred via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 15:33:06 +0000

From: Sean Allred <[email-masked]>

While well-established, the output format of ls-remote was not actually
documented. This patch adds an OUTPUT section to the documentation
following the format of git-show-ref.txt (which has similar semantics).

Signed-off-by: Sean Allred <[email-masked]>
---
    Document the output format of ls-remote

Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-git-1471%2Fvermiculus%2Fsa%2Fdoc-ls-remote-output-format-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-git-1471/vermiculus/sa/doc-ls-remote-output-format-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/git/git/pull/1471

 Documentation/git-ls-remote.txt | 18 ++++++++++++++++++
 1 file changed, 18 insertions(+)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-ls-remote.txt b/Documentation/git-ls-remote.txt
index ff3da547ddb..04cdd933b0a 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-ls-remote.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-ls-remote.txt
@@ -96,6 +96,24 @@ OPTIONS
 	separator (so `bar` matches `refs/heads/bar` but not
 	`refs/heads/foobar`).
 
+OUTPUT
+------
+
+The output is in the format: '<SHA-1 ID>' '<tab>' '<reference>'.
+
+----
+$ git ls-remote
+950264636c68591989456e3ba0a5442f93152c1a	refs/heads/main
+73876f4861cd3d187a4682290ab75c9dccadbc56	refs/heads/maint
+d9ab777d41f92a8c1684c91cfb02053d7dd1046b	refs/heads/next
+74a0ffe000da036ce4ca843d991a7c6b8c246a08	refs/heads/seen
+860bc4360c4fcba0fe2df942984d87f8467af3df	refs/heads/todo
+d4ca2e3147b409459955613c152220f4db848ee1	refs/tags/v2.40.0
+8810a79228a149a9773bf9c75f381fca27a6a80e	refs/tags/v2.40.0-rc0
+f899c182d0bffb6e915da7c8db9be202b144c098	refs/tags/v2.40.0-rc1
+6bed3304b2b2f1cf440ca3050b57a7cf3a3fe687	refs/tags/v2.40.0-rc2
+----
+
 EXAMPLES
 --------

base-commit: 950264636c68591989456e3ba0a5442f93152c1a
-- 
gitgitgadget