Subject: [PATCH 0/2] Make GPG errors less puzzling

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 05:58:32 +0000

For one times too many, I was asked to help with a commit signing problem
where the only error message was an unhelpful:

error: gpg failed to sign the data
fatal: failed to write commit object

That was it. No further indication what went wrong. And certainly not that
wonderful error message that the helper that was configured as gpg.program
wrote to its stderr.

Let's show whatever GPG (or any alternative configured via gpg.program) had
to say when signing failed.

Johannes Schindelin (2):
  t7510: add a test case that does not need gpg
  gpg: do show gpg's error message upon failure

 gpg-interface.c          |  8 ++++++--
 t/t7510-signed-commit.sh | 44 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 2 files changed, 50 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

base-commit: 23c56f7bd5f1667f8b793d796bf30e39545920f6
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1480%2Fdscho%2Fmake-gpg-errors-less-puzzling-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1480/dscho/make-gpg-errors-less-puzzling-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1480
-- 
gitgitgadget