Subject: [PATCH] completion: improve doc for complex aliases

From: "Philippe Blain via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2023 15:49:52 +0000

From: Philippe Blain <[email-masked]>

The completion code can be told to use a particular completion for
aliases that shell out by using ': git <cmd> ;' as the first command of
the alias. This only works if <cmd> and the semicolon are separated by a
space. The examples have that space but it's not clear if it's just for
style or if it's mandatory.

Explicitely mention it.

Signed-off-by: Philippe Blain <[email-masked]>
---
    completion: improve doc for complex aliases
    
    The completion code can be told to use a particular completion for
    aliases that shell out by using ': git ;' as the first command of the
    alias. This only works if and the semicolon are separated by a space.
    The examples have that space but it's not clear if it's just for style
    or if it's mandatory.
    
    Explicitely mention it.

Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1585%2Fphil-blain%2Fcompletion-shell-aliases-doc-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1585/phil-blain/completion-shell-aliases-doc-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1585

 contrib/completion/git-completion.bash | 1 +
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)

diff --git a/contrib/completion/git-completion.bash b/contrib/completion/git-completion.bash
index dc95c34cc85..659df570496 100644
--- a/contrib/completion/git-completion.bash
+++ b/contrib/completion/git-completion.bash
@@ -28,6 +28,7 @@
 # completion style.  For example '!f() { : git commit ; ... }; f' will
 # tell the completion to use commit completion.  This also works with aliases
 # of form "!sh -c '...'".  For example, "!sh -c ': git commit ; ... '".
+# Be sure to add a space between the command name and the ';'.
 #
 # If you have a command that is not part of git, but you would still
 # like completion, you can use __git_complete:

base-commit: 23c56f7bd5f1667f8b793d796bf30e39545920f6
-- 
gitgitgadget