Subject: [PATCH 00/25] Documentation fixes

From: "Elijah Newren via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2023 06:45:02 +0000

It turns out that AI is pretty good at making small fixes to documentation;
certainly not perfect, but it provides quite good signal. Unfortunately,
there is a lot to sift through. Some points about my strategy:

 * I ignored a few categories of things like British vs. American spellings
   (though being consistent on that might be a nice change)

 * I dropped many changes where I thought there wasn't an issue being
   corrected but just a switch of style being suggested (though I accepted a
   number of these types of changes before later deciding to drop them).

 * I also started discarding lower priority changes like comma placement. I
   accepted a number of these that I thought made the documentation clearer,
   but I eventually just started dropping them as I had spent far more hours
   than I expected on this series.

 * A few of the changes AI suggested were bad (it really shouldn't mess with
   protocol and RFC-like text). Definitely was useful to review.

 * Occasionally I noticed an even better improvement and tweaked the text
   accordingly.

I did review every single change here, multiple times, and I have tried to
split up this series in a way to make it easier to review. In particular I:

 * dropped any changes that conflicted with anything in next or seen. I may
   resubmit some of those later.

 * split it into a bunch of patches based on various grammatical rules being
   corrected

 * sometimes when a single line had multiple types of changes, I split the
   fixes across multiple patches in order to group types of changes

 * sometimes splitting the single-line changes seemed like too much, and I
   just combined the multiple changes to a single line with the first patch
   in the series, "wording improvements".

Let me know if there are other changes that would make this easier to
review. In a sense, though, it's already had multiple eyes looking at this,
it's just that one pair of those eyes were artificial. :-)

(Note: every patch in this series, except for the whitespace fixes patch,
are best viewed with --color-words.)

Elijah Newren (25):
  documentation: wording improvements
  documentation: fix small error
  documentation: fix typos
  documentation: fix apostrophe usage
  documentation: add missing words
  documentation: remove extraneous words
  documentation: fix subject/verb agreement
  documentation: employ consistent verb tense for a list
  documentation: fix verb tense
  documentation: fix adjective vs. noun
  documentation: fix verb vs. noun
  documentation: fix singular vs. plural
  documentation: whitespace is already generally plural
  documentation: fix choice of article
  documentation: add missing article
  documentation: remove unnecessary hyphens
  documentation: add missing hyphens
  documentation: use clearer prepositions
  documentation: fix punctuation
  documentation: fix capitalization
  documentation: fix whitespace issues
  documentation: add some commas where they are helpful
  documentation: add missing fullstops
  documentation: add missing quotes
  documentation: add missing parenthesis

 Documentation/CodingGuidelines                |  6 ++---
 Documentation/ReviewingGuidelines.txt         |  4 +--
 Documentation/SubmittingPatches               |  2 +-
 Documentation/ToolsForGit.txt                 |  4 +--
 Documentation/config.txt                      |  6 ++---
 Documentation/config/advice.txt               |  8 +++---
 Documentation/config/alias.txt                |  2 +-
 Documentation/config/apply.txt                |  4 +--
 Documentation/config/branch.txt               |  6 ++---
 Documentation/config/checkout.txt             |  4 +--
 Documentation/config/clean.txt                |  2 +-
 Documentation/config/clone.txt                |  4 +--
 Documentation/config/color.txt                |  2 +-
 Documentation/config/column.txt               |  4 +--
 Documentation/config/commit.txt               |  4 +--
 Documentation/config/credential.txt           |  4 +--
 Documentation/config/diff.txt                 |  2 +-
 Documentation/config/fastimport.txt           |  4 +--
 Documentation/config/fetch.txt                |  4 +--
 Documentation/config/format.txt               |  2 +-
 Documentation/config/fsck.txt                 | 22 ++++++++--------
 Documentation/config/fsmonitor--daemon.txt    |  2 +-
 Documentation/config/gc.txt                   |  4 +--
 Documentation/config/gpg.txt                  |  6 ++---
 Documentation/config/gui.txt                  |  2 +-
 Documentation/config/http.txt                 |  4 +--
 Documentation/config/i18n.txt                 |  2 +-
 Documentation/config/imap.txt                 |  4 +--
 Documentation/config/index.txt                |  2 +-
 Documentation/config/log.txt                  |  2 +-
 Documentation/config/mailinfo.txt             |  2 +-
 Documentation/config/maintenance.txt          |  2 +-
 Documentation/config/man.txt                  |  2 +-
 Documentation/config/merge.txt                |  2 +-
 Documentation/config/mergetool.txt            | 12 ++++-----
 Documentation/config/notes.txt                |  2 +-
 Documentation/config/pack.txt                 | 10 +++----
 Documentation/config/push.txt                 |  4 +--
 Documentation/config/receive.txt              |  4 +--
 Documentation/config/rerere.txt               |  2 +-
 Documentation/config/safe.txt                 |  4 +--
 Documentation/config/sendemail.txt            |  4 +--
 Documentation/config/sequencer.txt            |  2 +-
 Documentation/config/splitindex.txt           |  6 ++---
 Documentation/config/stash.txt                |  8 +++---
 Documentation/config/status.txt               |  4 +--
 Documentation/config/submodule.txt            |  4 +--
 Documentation/config/trace2.txt               |  2 +-
 Documentation/config/transfer.txt             |  4 +--
 Documentation/config/user.txt                 | 10 +++----
 Documentation/config/versionsort.txt          |  6 ++---
 Documentation/diff-generate-patch.txt         | 26 +++++++++----------
 Documentation/diff-options.txt                |  2 +-
 Documentation/fetch-options.txt               |  4 +--
 Documentation/fsck-msgids.txt                 |  4 +--
 Documentation/git-am.txt                      | 12 ++++-----
 Documentation/git-apply.txt                   | 14 +++++-----
 Documentation/git-archive.txt                 | 16 ++++++------
 Documentation/git-blame.txt                   |  8 +++---
 Documentation/git-bugreport.txt               |  9 ++++---
 Documentation/git-check-attr.txt              |  6 ++---
 Documentation/git-check-ignore.txt            |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-check-ref-format.txt        |  4 +--
 Documentation/git-checkout-index.txt          | 10 +++----
 Documentation/git-checkout.txt                |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-clean.txt                   |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-count-objects.txt           |  6 ++---
 Documentation/git-credential-cache.txt        |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-credential-store.txt        |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-credential.txt              |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-daemon.txt                  |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-diff-files.txt              |  6 ++---
 Documentation/git-diff-index.txt              |  4 +--
 Documentation/git-diff-tree.txt               | 12 ++++-----
 Documentation/git-difftool.txt                |  4 +--
 Documentation/git-fast-import.txt             |  4 +--
 Documentation/git-fetch-pack.txt              |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-format-patch.txt            |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-fsck.txt                    |  6 ++---
 Documentation/git-fsmonitor--daemon.txt       | 10 +++----
 Documentation/git-get-tar-commit-id.txt       |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-grep.txt                    |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-hash-object.txt             |  8 +++---
 Documentation/git-help.txt                    | 18 ++++++-------
 Documentation/git-hook.txt                    |  4 +--
 Documentation/git-http-backend.txt            | 10 +++----
 Documentation/git-http-fetch.txt              |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-http-push.txt               | 10 +++----
 Documentation/git-index-pack.txt              | 10 +++----
 Documentation/git-init.txt                    | 10 +++----
 Documentation/git-ls-files.txt                | 10 +++----
 Documentation/git-mailsplit.txt               |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-maintenance.txt             |  6 ++---
 Documentation/git-merge-base.txt              | 12 ++++-----
 Documentation/git-merge-tree.txt              |  8 +++---
 Documentation/git-merge.txt                   |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-mergetool--lib.txt          | 10 +++----
 Documentation/git-mergetool.txt               |  8 +++---
 Documentation/git-mktag.txt                   |  6 ++---
 Documentation/git-mktree.txt                  |  4 +--
 Documentation/git-mv.txt                      |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-name-rev.txt                |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-prune-packed.txt            |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-prune.txt                   |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-push.txt                    |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-quiltimport.txt             |  4 +--
 Documentation/git-range-diff.txt              |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-read-tree.txt               |  6 ++---
 Documentation/git-receive-pack.txt            |  4 +--
 Documentation/git-remote-ext.txt              | 10 +++----
 Documentation/git-remote-fd.txt               | 10 +++----
 Documentation/git-repack.txt                  |  4 +--
 Documentation/git-replace.txt                 |  4 +--
 Documentation/git-request-pull.txt            |  4 +--
 Documentation/git-restore.txt                 |  4 +--
 Documentation/git-rev-list.txt                |  4 +--
 Documentation/git-rev-parse.txt               |  8 +++---
 Documentation/git-rm.txt                      |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-send-email.txt              |  4 +--
 Documentation/git-send-pack.txt               | 16 ++++++------
 Documentation/git-sh-setup.txt                |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-show-branch.txt             | 12 ++++-----
 Documentation/git-show-ref.txt                |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-show.txt                    |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-status.txt                  |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-stripspace.txt              |  6 ++---
 Documentation/git-symbolic-ref.txt            |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-update-index.txt            | 18 ++++++-------
 Documentation/git-update-ref.txt              |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-update-server-info.txt      |  4 +--
 Documentation/git-upload-pack.txt             |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-var.txt                     |  2 +-
 Documentation/git-verify-pack.txt             |  6 ++---
 Documentation/git-whatchanged.txt             |  8 +++---
 Documentation/gitcli.txt                      |  8 +++---
 Documentation/gitdiffcore.txt                 | 14 +++++-----
 Documentation/giteveryday.txt                 |  2 +-
 Documentation/gitformat-bundle.txt            |  8 +++---
 Documentation/gitformat-chunk.txt             |  4 +--
 Documentation/gitformat-pack.txt              | 18 ++++++-------
 Documentation/githooks.txt                    | 10 +++----
 Documentation/gitprotocol-capabilities.txt    | 20 +++++++-------
 Documentation/gitprotocol-common.txt          |  2 +-
 Documentation/gitprotocol-http.txt            |  6 ++---
 Documentation/gitprotocol-pack.txt            |  6 ++---
 Documentation/gitprotocol-v2.txt              |  2 +-
 Documentation/gitsubmodules.txt               |  6 ++---
 Documentation/gitweb.conf.txt                 |  2 +-
 Documentation/gitweb.txt                      | 16 ++++++------
 Documentation/glossary-content.txt            |  2 +-
 .../howto/coordinate-embargoed-releases.txt   |  2 +-
 Documentation/howto/maintain-git.txt          |  6 ++---
 Documentation/howto/use-git-daemon.txt        |  2 +-
 Documentation/howto/using-merge-subtree.txt   |  2 +-
 Documentation/i18n.txt                        |  4 +--
 Documentation/mergetools/vimdiff.txt          |  6 ++---
 Documentation/pretty-options.txt              |  4 +--
 Documentation/pull-fetch-param.txt            |  6 ++---
 Documentation/rev-list-options.txt            |  4 +--
 Documentation/technical/api-index-skel.txt    |  2 +-
 Documentation/technical/api-simple-ipc.txt    | 10 +++----
 Documentation/technical/bitmap-format.txt     |  6 ++---
 Documentation/technical/commit-graph.txt      |  2 +-
 Documentation/technical/parallel-checkout.txt | 10 +++----
 Documentation/technical/partial-clone.txt     |  8 +++---
 Documentation/technical/racy-git.txt          | 10 +++----
 Documentation/technical/reftable.txt          | 10 +++----
 .../technical/repository-version.txt          |  2 +-
 Documentation/technical/rerere.txt            |  6 ++---
 Documentation/urls-remotes.txt                |  4 +--
 Documentation/urls.txt                        |  4 +--
 171 files changed, 478 insertions(+), 477 deletions(-)

base-commit: 3a06386e314565108ad56a9bdb8f7b80ac52fb69
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1595%2Fnewren%2Fdoc-fixes-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1595/newren/doc-fixes-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1595
-- 
gitgitgadget