Subject: [PATCH] ci: avoid running the test suite _twice_

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 17:00:37 +0000

From: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>

This is a late amendment of 19ec39aab54 (ci: stop linking the `prove`
cache, 2022-07-10), fixing a bug that had been hidden so far.

The bug is that the `.prove` cache stores information about previous
`prove` runs (`save`) and uses them (`slow`, to run the tests in the
order from longer-running to shorter ones).

This bug can cause some surprising behavior: when the Prove cache
contains a reference to a test script, subsequent `prove` runs (with
`--state=slow`) will run the same test script again even if said script
is not specified on the `prove` command-line!

So far, this bug did not matter. Right until d8f416bbb87c (ci: run unit
tests in CI, 2023-11-09) it did not matter.

But starting with that commit, we run `prove` _twice_ in CI, and with
completely different sets of tests to run. Due to the bug, the second
invocation re-runs all of the tests that were already run as part of the
first invocation. This not only wastes build minutes, it also frequently
causes the `osx-*` jobs to fail because they already take a long time
and now are likely to run into a timeout.

The worst part about it is that there is actually no benefit to keep
running with `--state=slow,save`, ever since we decided no longer to
try to reuse the Prove cache between CI runs.

So let's just drop that Prove option and live happily ever after.

Signed-off-by: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
---
    ci: avoid running the test suite twice
    
    This
    [https://github.com/git/git/actions/runs/6845537889/job/18614840166] is
    an example of a osx-* job that times out. Here
    [https://github.com/git/git/actions/runs/6845537889/job/18614840166#step:4:839],
    it is running t0013, and here
    [https://github.com/git/git/actions/runs/6845537889/job/18614840166#step:4:2765],
    it is run again (in the middle of the entire test suite, as part of make
    unit-tests).
    
    While this tries to fix a bug uncovered by js/doc-unit-tests, to avoid
    merge conflicts, this is based on ps/ci-gitlab.

Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1613%2Fdscho%2Favoid-running-test-suite-twice-in-ci-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1613/dscho/avoid-running-test-suite-twice-in-ci-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1613

 ci/lib.sh | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/ci/lib.sh b/ci/lib.sh
index 6dfc90d7f53..307a8df0b5a 100755
--- a/ci/lib.sh
+++ b/ci/lib.sh
@@ -281,7 +281,7 @@ else
 fi
 
 MAKEFLAGS="$MAKEFLAGS --jobs=$JOBS"
-GIT_PROVE_OPTS="--timer --jobs $JOBS --state=failed,slow,save"
+GIT_PROVE_OPTS="--timer --jobs $JOBS"
 
 GIT_TEST_OPTS="$GIT_TEST_OPTS --verbose-log -x"
 case "$CI_OS_NAME" in

base-commit: 0e3b67e2aa25edb7e1a5c999c87b52a7b3a7649a
-- 
gitgitgadget