Subject: [PATCH] Mention default oldbranch in git-branch doc

From: "Clarence "Sparr" Risher via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 00:24:51 +0000

From: "Clarence \"Sparr\" Risher" <[email-masked]>

`git branch -m` has an optional first argument, the branch to rename.
If omitted, it defaults to the current branch. This behavior is not
currently described in the documentation. While it can be determined
relatively easily through experimentation, and less so through viewing
the source code (builtin/branch.c:897), it is not obvious what such a
command will do when encountered in a less interactive context.

This patch adds one sentence to the git-branch documentation, with
wording based on another optional argument described earlier in the
same doc.

The same behavior applies to -M, -c, and -C, which are all covered by
this same section of the documentation.

Signed-off-by: Clarence Risher <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Clarence "Sparr" Risher <[email-masked]>
---
    Mention default oldbranch in git-branch doc

Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-git-1613%2Fsparr%2Fdoc_branch_rename_one_param-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-git-1613/sparr/doc_branch_rename_one_param-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/git/git/pull/1613

 Documentation/git-branch.txt | 1 +
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-branch.txt b/Documentation/git-branch.txt
index 4395aa93543..affed1b17a4 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-branch.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-branch.txt
@@ -73,6 +73,7 @@ overridden by using the `--track` and `--no-track` options, and
 changed later using `git branch --set-upstream-to`.
 
 With a `-m` or `-M` option, <oldbranch> will be renamed to <newbranch>.
+If the <oldbranch> argument is missing it defaults to the current branch.
 If <oldbranch> had a corresponding reflog, it is renamed to match
 <newbranch>, and a reflog entry is created to remember the branch
 renaming. If <newbranch> exists, -M must be used to force the rename

base-commit: 564d0252ca632e0264ed670534a51d18a689ef5d
-- 
gitgitgadget