Subject: [PATCH 0/2] Generalize reference locking in tests

From: "Justin Tobler via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 18:52:28 +0000

There are two tests in t1401 and t5541 that rely on writing a reference lock
file directly. While this works for the files reference backend, reftable
reference locks operate differently and are incompatible with this approach.
To be reference backend agnostic, this patch series refactors the two tests
to use git-update-ref(1) to lock refs instead.

This approach is more verbose and may warrant consideration of implementing
an abstraction to further simplify this operation. There appears to be one
other existing test in t1400 that also follows this pattern. Being that
there is only a handful of affected tests the implemented approach may be
sufficient as is.

Justin Tobler (2):
  t1401: generalize reference locking
  t5541: generalize reference locking

 t/t1401-symbolic-ref.sh    | 28 ++++++++++++++++++++++++----
 t/t5541-http-push-smart.sh | 25 +++++++++++++++++++++++--
 2 files changed, 47 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)

base-commit: 624eb90fa8f65a79396615f3c2842ac5a3743350
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1634%2Fjltobler%2Fjt%2Fbackend-generic-ref-lock-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1634/jltobler/jt/backend-generic-ref-lock-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1634
-- 
gitgitgadget