Subject: [PATCH 0/3] Strengthen fsck checks for submodule URLs

From: "Victoria Dye via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2024 17:53:34 +0000

While testing 'git fsck' checks on .gitmodules URLs, I noticed that some
invalid URLs were passing the checks. Digging into it a bit more, the issue
turned out to be that 'credential_from_url_gently()' parses certain URLs
(like "http://example.com:something/deeper/path") incorrectly, in a way that
appeared to return a valid result.

Fortunately, these URLs are rejected in fetches/clones/pushes anyway because
'url_normalize()' (called in 'validate_remote_url()') correctly identifies
them as invalid. So, to bring 'git fsck' in line with other (stronger)
validation done on remote URLs, this series replaces the
'credential_from_url_gently()' check with one that uses 'url_normalize()'.

 * Patch 1 moves 'check_submodule_url()' to a public location so that it can
   be used outside of 'fsck.c'.
 * Patch 2 adds a 'check-url' mode to 'test-tool submodule', calling the
   now-public 'check_submodule_url()' method on a given URL, and adds a new
   test checking a list of valid and invalid submodule URLs.
 * Patch 3 replaces the 'credential_from_url_gently()' check with
   'url_normalize()' followed by 'url_decode()' and an explicit check for
   newlines (to preserve the newline handling added in 07259e74ec1 (fsck:
   detect gitmodules URLs with embedded newlines, 2020-03-11)).

Thanks!

 * Victoria

Victoria Dye (3):
  submodule-config.h: move check_submodule_url
  t7450: test submodule urls
  submodule-config.c: strengthen URL fsck check

 fsck.c                      | 133 ----------------------------------
 submodule-config.c          | 140 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 submodule-config.h          |   3 +
 t/helper/test-submodule.c   |  31 ++++++--
 t/t7450-bad-git-dotfiles.sh |  26 +++++++
 5 files changed, 196 insertions(+), 137 deletions(-)

base-commit: a54a84b333adbecf7bc4483c0e36ed5878cac17b
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1635%2Fvdye%2Fvdye%2Fstrengthen-fsck-url-checks-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1635/vdye/vdye/strengthen-fsck-url-checks-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1635
-- 
gitgitgadget