Subject: [PATCH] MyFirstContribution: update mailing list sub steps

From: "spectral via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 20:59:15 +0000

From: Kyle Lippincott <[email-masked]>

The documentation says to send an email to majordomo. Doing so gets you
an auto response saying majordomo has been turned down, and to instead
visit https://subspace.kernel.org/vger.kernel.org.html and use the
sub/unsub links.

Update the instructions to reference the supported mechanism for
subscribing to the git mailing list. Include details like these being
mailto links but the subject/body aren't necessary, since it's not
obvious what to put in those fields.

Signed-off-by: Kyle Lippincott <[email-masked]>
---
    MyFirstContribution: update mailing list sub steps

Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1644%2Fspectral54%2Fmy-first-contribution-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1644/spectral54/my-first-contribution-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1644

 Documentation/MyFirstContribution.txt | 8 +++++---
 1 file changed, 5 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/MyFirstContribution.txt b/Documentation/MyFirstContribution.txt
index 279f6a3e7ca..2361fe27e97 100644
--- a/Documentation/MyFirstContribution.txt
+++ b/Documentation/MyFirstContribution.txt
@@ -35,9 +35,11 @@ announcements, design discussions, and more take place. Those interested in
 contributing are welcome to post questions here. The Git list requires
 plain-text-only emails and prefers inline and bottom-posting when replying to
 mail; you will be CC'd in all replies to you. Optionally, you can subscribe to
-the list by sending an email to [email-masked] with "subscribe git"
-in the body. The https://lore.kernel.org/git[archive] of this mailing list is
-available to view in a browser.
+the list by visiting https://subspace.kernel.org/vger.kernel.org.html and using
+the `sub` link next to the `git` list (this is a mailto link; you can leave
+subject and body blank, but you still have to send the email). The
+https://lore.kernel.org/git[archive] of this mailing list is available to view
+in a browser.
 
 ==== https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/git-mentoring[[email-masked]]

base-commit: a54a84b333adbecf7bc4483c0e36ed5878cac17b
-- 
gitgitgadget