Subject: [PATCH 0/4] Doc new guidelines

From: "Jean-Noël Avila via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 22:18:55 +0000

This is hopefully the final rehearsal of documentation style rework before
the reroll on the all the man pages.

Following some more research on how man pages are usually formatted and on
our track record of editing our documentation, this series states as the new
standard that all literal text is now formatted in verbatim and that
placeholders are emphasized, wherever they appear.

The markup is a bit more involved in some cases, but the output is more
consistent and follows the principle of least surprise for readers
accustomed to reading man pages.

Jean-Noël Avila (4):
  doc: rework CodingGuidelines with new formatting rules
  doc: allow literal and emphasis format in doc vs help tests
  doc: git-init: apply new documentation formatting guidelines
  doc: git-clone: apply new documentation guidelines

 Documentation/CodingGuidelines | 147 ++++++++++++++++++---------------
 Documentation/config/clone.txt |  23 ++++--
 Documentation/config/init.txt  |   4 +-
 Documentation/git-clone.txt    | 120 +++++++++++++--------------
 Documentation/git-init.txt     |  46 +++++------
 Documentation/urls.txt         |  22 ++---
 t/t0450-txt-doc-vs-help.sh     |   2 +-
 7 files changed, 193 insertions(+), 171 deletions(-)

base-commit: 11c821f2f2a31e70fb5cc449f9a29401c333aad2
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1702%2Fjnavila%2Fdoc_new_Guidelines-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1702/jnavila/doc_new_Guidelines-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1702
-- 
gitgitgadget