Subject: [PATCH 00/19] Implement the git add --patch backend in C

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 08:07:47 +0000

Out of all the patch series on the journey to provide git add --interactive 
and git add --patch in built-in versions, this is the big one, as can be
expected from the fact that the git add --patch functionality makes up over
half of the 1,800+ lines of git-add--interactive.perl.

The two patches that stick out are of course the ones to implement hunk
splitting and hunk editing: these operations are fundamentally more
complicated, and less obvious, than the entire rest of the operations.

Johannes Schindelin (19):
  built-in add -i: start implementing the `patch` functionality in C
  built-in add -i: wire up the new C code for the `patch` command
  built-in add -p: show colored hunks by default
  built-in add -p: adjust hunk headers as needed
  built-in add -p: color the prompt and the help text
  built-in add -p: offer a helpful error message when hunk navigation
    failed
  built-in add -p: support multi-file diffs
  built-in add -p: handle deleted empty files
  built-in app -p: allow selecting a mode change as a "hunk"
  built-in add -p: show different prompts for mode changes and deletions
  built-in add -p: implement the hunk splitting feature
  built-in add -p: coalesce hunks after splitting them
  strbuf: add a helper function to call the editor "on an strbuf"
  built-in add -p: implement hunk editing
  built-in add -p: implement the 'g' ("goto") command
  built-in add -p: implement the '/' ("search regex") command
  built-in add -p: implement the 'q' ("quit") command
  built-in add -p: only show the applicable parts of the help text
  built-in add -p: show helpful hint when nothing can be staged

 Makefile                   |    1 +
 add-interactive.c          |   29 +-
 add-interactive.h          |   19 +
 add-patch.c                | 1338 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 builtin/add.c              |   15 +-
 strbuf.c                   |   28 +
 strbuf.h                   |   11 +
 t/t3701-add-interactive.sh |   42 ++
 8 files changed, 1464 insertions(+), 19 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 add-patch.c

base-commit: b4bbbbd5a247e0e75d079bca591b657ec9084a46
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-173%2Fdscho%2Fadd-p-in-c-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-173/dscho/add-p-in-c-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/173
-- 
gitgitgadget