Subject: [PATCH] docs: explain the order of output in the batched mode of git-cat-file(1)

From: "ahmed akef via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2024 09:28:05 +0000

From: ahmed akef <[email-masked]>

The batched mode of git-cat-file(1) reads multiple objects from stdin
and prints their respective contents to stdout.
The order in which those objects are printed is not documented
and may not be immediately obvious to the user.
Document it.

Signed-off-by: ahmed akef <[email-masked]>
---
    docs: explain the order of output in The batched mode of git-cat-file(1)
    
    The batched mode of git-cat-file(1) reads multiple objects from stdin
    and prints their respective contents to stdout. The order in which those
    objects are printed is not documented and may not be immediately obvious
    to the user. Document it.

Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-git-1768%2Fahmedakef%2Fexplain-the-order-of-output-in-cat-file-batch-operations-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-git-1768/ahmedakef/explain-the-order-of-output-in-cat-file-batch-operations-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/git/git/pull/1768

 Documentation/git-cat-file.txt | 4 ++--
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-cat-file.txt b/Documentation/git-cat-file.txt
index bd95a6c10a7..f1e0b4a7219 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-cat-file.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-cat-file.txt
@@ -270,8 +270,8 @@ BATCH OUTPUT
 ------------
 
 If `--batch` or `--batch-check` is given, `cat-file` will read objects
-from stdin, one per line, and print information about them. By default,
-the whole line is considered as an object, as if it were fed to
+from stdin, one per line, and print information about them sequentially in the same order.
+By default, the whole line is considered as an object, as if it were fed to
 linkgit:git-rev-parse[1].
 
 When `--batch-command` is given, `cat-file` will read commands from stdin,

base-commit: 80ccd8a2602820fdf896a8e8894305225f86f61d
-- 
gitgitgadget