Subject: [PATCH 0/2] rebase-merges: try and use branch names for labels

From: "Nicolas Guichard via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2024 18:37:58 +0000

When interactively rebasing merge commits, the commit message is parsed to
extract a probably meaningful label name. For instance if the merge commit
is “Merge branch 'feature0'”, then the rebase script will have thes lines:
label feature0 merge -C $sha feature0 # “Merge branch 'feature0'

This heuristic fails in the case of octopus merges or when the merge commit
message is actually unrelated to the parent commits.

An example that combines both is: *---. 967bfa4 (HEAD -> integration)
Integration |\ \
| | | * 2135be1 (feature2, feat2) Feature 2 | |_|/ |/| | | | * c88b01a
Feature 1 | |/ |/| | * 75f3139 (feat0) Feature 0 |/ * 25c86d0 (main) Initial
commit which yields the labels Integration, Integration-2 and Integration-3.

Fix this by using a branch name for each merge commit's parent that is the
tip of at least one branch, and falling back to a label derived from the
merge commit message otherwise. In the example above, the labels become
feat0, Integration and feature2.

Nicolas Guichard (2):
  sequencer.c: extract load_branch_decorations
  rebase-merges: try and use branch names as labels

 sequencer.c                   | 50 ++++++++++++++++++++++-------------
 t/t3404-rebase-interactive.sh |  4 +--
 t/t3430-rebase-merges.sh      | 12 ++++-----
 3 files changed, 40 insertions(+), 26 deletions(-)

base-commit: 94b60adee30619a05296cf5ed6addb0e6d4e25dc
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-git-1784%2Fnicolas-guichard%2Fuse-branch-names-for-rebase-merges-labels-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-git-1784/nicolas-guichard/use-branch-names-for-rebase-merges-labels-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/git/git/pull/1784
-- 
gitgitgadget