Subject: [PATCH] help: interpret help.autocorrect=1 as "immediate" rather than 0.1s

From: "Scott Chacon via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2025 19:31:46 +0000

From: Scott Chacon <[email-masked]>

Many people confusingly set the "help.autocorrect" setting to 1 believing it
to be a boolean that turns on the autocorrect feature rather than an integer
value of deciseconds wait time. Since it's impossible for a human being to
react this quickly, the help message stating that it's waiting for 0.1s
before continuing becomes confusingly comical.

This patch simply interprets a "1" value as the same as the "immedate"
autocorrect setting, which makes it skip the 0.1s and simply say that it's
running the command, which is almost certainly what everyone setting it to
that value is actually trying to do.

Signed-off-by: Scott Chacon <[email-masked]>
---
    help: interpret help.autocorrect=1 as "immediate" rather than 0.1s

Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-git-1869%2Fschacon%2Fmaster-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-git-1869/schacon/master-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/git/git/pull/1869

 help.c | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/help.c b/help.c
index 5483ea8fd29..e6576644b99 100644
--- a/help.c
+++ b/help.c
@@ -568,7 +568,7 @@ static int git_unknown_cmd_config(const char *var, const char *value,
 			return config_error_nonbool(var);
 		if (!strcmp(value, "never")) {
 			cfg->autocorrect = AUTOCORRECT_NEVER;
-		} else if (!strcmp(value, "immediate")) {
+		} else if (!strcmp(value, "immediate") || !strcmp(value, "1")) {
 			cfg->autocorrect = AUTOCORRECT_IMMEDIATELY;
 		} else if (!strcmp(value, "prompt")) {
 			cfg->autocorrect = AUTOCORRECT_PROMPT;

base-commit: 14650065b76b28d3cfa9453356ac5669b19e706e
-- 
gitgitgadget