Subject: [PATCH 0/2] describe and diff: implement --no-optional-locks

From: "Benjamin Woodruff via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2025 05:58:03 +0000

git describe and git diff may update the index in the background for similar
performance reasons to git-status. These patches implement the
--no-optional-locks option for these commands, which allows scripts to
bypass this behavior.

I'm implementing this as a solution to a stale lockfile issue we've
sporadically encountered due to a build script that runs git describe. We're
mitigating this issue by using libgit2 in our build script, which does not
have the same background update behavior for its git_describe_workdir
implementation, but it would be nice to have this option supported in the
git CLI.

Tests and documentation changes are included!

Benjamin Woodruff (2):
  describe: implement --no-optional-locks
  diff: implement --no-optional-locks

 Documentation/config/diff.adoc     |  4 ++-
 Documentation/git-describe.adoc    | 12 ++++++++
 Documentation/git.adoc             |  4 ++-
 builtin/describe.c                 | 12 ++++----
 builtin/diff.c                     |  4 +++
 t/meson.build                      |  1 +
 t/t4070-diff-auto-refresh-index.sh | 46 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 t/t6120-describe.sh                |  8 ++++++
 8 files changed, 84 insertions(+), 7 deletions(-)
 create mode 100755 t/t4070-diff-auto-refresh-index.sh

base-commit: e969bc875963a10890d61ba84eab3a460bd9e535
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1872%2Fbgw%2Fbgw%2Fdiff-describe-optional-locks-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1872/bgw/bgw/diff-describe-optional-locks-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1872
-- 
gitgitgadget