Subject: [PATCH] doc: use 'title' consistently

From: "M Hickford via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2025 20:05:18 +0000

From: M Hickford <[email-masked]>

The first line of a commit message is variously called 'title' or
'subject'.

Prefer 'title' unless discussing email.

Signed-off-by: M Hickford <[email-masked]>
---
    doc: use 'title' consistently

Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-git-1893%2Fhickford%2Ftitle-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-git-1893/hickford/title-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/git/git/pull/1893

 Documentation/git-commit.txt | 8 ++++----
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-commit.txt b/Documentation/git-commit.txt
index 602e2f1200b..70a5e4a181c 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-commit.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-commit.txt
@@ -98,8 +98,8 @@ OPTIONS
 	replaces the log message of _<commit>_ with its own log message
 	but makes no changes to the content of _<commit>_.
 +
-The commit created by plain `--fixup=<commit>` has a subject
-composed of "fixup!" followed by the subject line from _<commit>_,
+The commit created by plain `--fixup=<commit>` has a title
+composed of "fixup!" followed by the title of _<commit>_,
 and is recognized specially by `git rebase --autosquash`. The `-m`
 option may be used to supplement the log message of the created
 commit, but the additional commentary will be thrown away once the
@@ -107,7 +107,7 @@ commit, but the additional commentary will be thrown away once the
 `git rebase --autosquash`.
 +
 The commit created by `--fixup=amend:<commit>` is similar but its
-subject is instead prefixed with "amend!". The log message of
+title is instead prefixed with "amend!". The log message of
 _<commit>_ is copied into the log message of the "amend!" commit and
 opened in an editor so it can be refined. When `git rebase
 --autosquash` squashes the "amend!" commit into _<commit>_, the
@@ -128,7 +128,7 @@ See linkgit:git-rebase[1] for details.
 
 `--squash=<commit>`::
 	Construct a commit message for use with `git rebase --autosquash`.
-	The commit message subject line is taken from the specified
+	The commit message title is taken from the specified
 	commit with a prefix of "squash! ".  Can be used with additional
 	commit message options (`-m`/`-c`/`-C`/`-F`). See
 	linkgit:git-rebase[1] for details.

base-commit: e2067b49ecaef9b7f51a17ce251f9207f72ef52d
-- 
gitgitgadget