Subject: [PATCH 0/8] Debug merge-recursive.[ch]

From: "Elijah Newren via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2025 15:51:11 +0000

As a wise man once told me, "Deleted code is debugged code!"

This series does some preparation, then moves the code shared between
merge-recursive and merge-ort from the former to the latter, and then debugs
the remainder of merge-recursive.[ch].

Series overview:

 * Patches 1-5: Preparation; switch remaining callers of
   merge-recursive.[ch] functions to merge-ort equivalents, and add sole
   remaining missing feature (diff-algorithm selection)
 * Patch 6: Nuke merge-recursive.[ch]
 * Patch 7-8: Cleanup testsuite; we don't need GIT_TEST_MERGE_ALGORITHM
   anymore

While the diffstat might look large, the non-test code changes are actually
pretty small. The drivers of the big diffstat are:

 * We move a significant chunk of shared code from merge-recursive.[ch] to
   merge-ort.[ch], without modifying it
 * We delete (the remainder of) merge-recursive.[ch]
 * We rip out all the temporary GIT_TEST_MERGE_ALGORITHM stuff designed to
   let us reuse tests between recursive and ort

Elijah Newren (8):
  checkout: replace merge_trees() with merge_ort_nonrecursive()
  builtin/merge-recursive: switch to using merge_ort_generic()
  merge-ort: enable diff-algorithms other than histogram
  sequencer: switch non-recursive merges over to ort
  merge, sequencer: switch recursive merges over to ort
  merge-recursive.[ch]: thoroughly debug these
  tests: remove GIT_TEST_MERGE_ALGORITHM and test_expect_merge_algorithm
  builtin/{merge,rebase,revert}: remove GIT_TEST_MERGE_ALGORITHM

 Documentation/merge-strategies.adoc           |   51 +-
 Documentation/technical/sparse-checkout.adoc  |    2 -
 Makefile                                      |    1 -
 builtin/checkout.c                            |   10 +-
 builtin/merge-recursive.c                     |    4 +-
 builtin/merge.c                               |   23 +-
 builtin/rebase.c                              |    5 -
 builtin/revert.c                              |    2 -
 ci/run-build-and-tests.sh                     |    1 -
 merge-ort-wrappers.h                          |    2 +-
 merge-ort.c                                   |  162 +-
 merge-ort.h                                   |   60 +-
 merge-recursive.c                             | 4079 -----------------
 merge-recursive.h                             |  132 -
 meson.build                                   |    1 -
 sequencer.c                                   |   58 +-
 t/lib-merge.sh                                |   13 -
 t/t1092-sparse-checkout-compatibility.sh      |    2 -
 t/t2501-cwd-empty.sh                          |    2 -
 t/t3512-cherry-pick-submodule.sh              |    5 -
 t/t3513-revert-submodule.sh                   |    4 -
 t/t4069-remerge-diff.sh                       |    7 -
 t/t4301-merge-tree-write-tree.sh              |    7 -
 t/t5572-pull-submodule.sh                     |    5 -
 t/t6400-merge-df.sh                           |   14 +-
 t/t6402-merge-rename.sh                       |  125 +-
 t/t6404-recursive-merge.sh                    |   21 +-
 t/t6406-merge-attr.sh                         |    7 +-
 t/t6416-recursive-corner-cases.sh             |  194 +-
 t/t6421-merge-partial-clone.sh                |    7 +-
 t/t6422-merge-rename-corner-cases.sh          |   31 +-
 t/t6423-merge-rename-directories.sh           |  517 +--
 t/t6424-merge-unrelated-index-changes.sh      |    8 +-
 t/t6426-merge-skip-unneeded-updates.sh        |    4 +-
 t/t6428-merge-conflicts-sparse.sh             |    2 -
 t/t6430-merge-recursive.sh                    |   46 +-
 t/t6434-merge-recursive-rename-options.sh     |   16 +-
 t/t6436-merge-overwrite.sh                    |   17 +-
 t/t6437-submodule-merge.sh                    |   65 +-
 t/t6438-submodule-directory-file-conflicts.sh |    5 -
 t/t6439-merge-co-error-msgs.sh                |    2 +-
 t/t7402-submodule-rebase.sh                   |    7 +-
 t/t7602-merge-octopus-many.sh                 |    9 +-
 t/t7610-mergetool.sh                          |   40 +-
 t/t7615-diff-algo-with-mergy-operations.sh    |    2 -
 t/test-lib.sh                                 |    2 -
 46 files changed, 538 insertions(+), 5241 deletions(-)
 delete mode 100644 merge-recursive.c
 delete mode 100644 merge-recursive.h
 delete mode 100644 t/lib-merge.sh

base-commit: 5b97a56fa0e7d580dc8865b73107407c9b3f0eff
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1898%2Fnewren%2Fendit-quote-debugging-unquote-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1898/newren/endit-quote-debugging-unquote-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1898
-- 
gitgitgadget