Subject: [PATCH 0/2] scalar: add --no-maintenance option

From: "Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2025 10:24:38 +0000

These patches add a new --no-maintenance option to the scalar register and
scalar clone commands. My motivation is based on setting up Scalar clones in
automated environments that set up a repo onto a disk image for use later.
If background maintenance runs during later setup steps, then this
introduces a variable that is unexpected at minimum and disruptive at worst.
The disruption comes in if the automation has steps to run git maintenance
run --task=<X> commands but those commands are blocked due to the
maintenance.lock file.

Functionally, these leave the default behavior as-is but allow disabling the
git maintenance start step when users opt-in to this difference. The idea of
Scalar is to recommend the best practices for a typical user, but allowing
customization for expert users.

Thanks, -Stolee

Derrick Stolee (2):
  scalar register: add --no-maintenance option
  scalar clone: add --no-maintenance option

 Documentation/scalar.adoc | 15 +++++++++++++--
 scalar.c                  | 23 ++++++++++++++---------
 t/t9210-scalar.sh         |  7 +++++++
 t/t9211-scalar-clone.sh   |  6 ++++++
 4 files changed, 40 insertions(+), 11 deletions(-)

base-commit: f65182a99e545d2f2bc22e6c1c2da192133b16a3
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1913%2Fderrickstolee%2Fscalar-no-maintenance-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1913/derrickstolee/scalar-no-maintenance-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1913
-- 
gitgitgadget