Subject: [PATCH 0/6] Introduce more doc linting

From: "Jean-Noël Avila via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2025 13:03:47 +0000

Reviewing the documentation part of the last patches, it turns out that the
majority of my comments are related to the latest documentation guidelines
which are both easy to forget and almost trivial to automatically check.

This series implements the automatic tests for basic doc rules. At the
moment it conflicts with "[GSoC][PATCH v6 0/6] Add refs list subcommand" and
possibly with "[PATCH v4 0/9] refs: fix migration of reflog entries"

Jean-Noël Avila (6):
  doc: test linkgit macros for well-formedness
  doc: check well-formedness of delimited sections
  doc: check for absence of multiple terms in each entry of desc list
  doc: check for absence of the form --[no-]parameter
  doc:git-for-each-ref: fix styling and typos
  doc lint: check that synopsis manpages have synopsis inlines

 Documentation/Makefile                        |  21 +-
 Documentation/RelNotes/1.6.2.4.adoc           |   1 +
 Documentation/blame-options.adoc              |   3 +-
 Documentation/diff-format.adoc                |   1 +
 Documentation/diff-options.adoc               |   3 +-
 Documentation/fetch-options.adoc              |  15 +-
 Documentation/git-am.adoc                     |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-backfill.adoc               |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-cat-file.adoc               |   6 +-
 Documentation/git-check-attr.adoc             |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-check-ignore.adoc           |   9 +-
 Documentation/git-check-ref-format.adoc       |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-clone.adoc                  |  12 +-
 Documentation/git-commit-graph.adoc           |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-commit.adoc                 |   4 +-
 Documentation/git-config.adoc                 |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-difftool.adoc               |   9 +-
 Documentation/git-fast-import.adoc            |   5 +-
 Documentation/git-fmt-merge-msg.adoc          |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-for-each-ref.adoc           | 264 +++++++++---------
 Documentation/git-format-patch.adoc           |  12 +-
 Documentation/git-fsck.adoc                   |   9 +-
 Documentation/git-gc.adoc                     |   6 +-
 Documentation/git-http-fetch.adoc             |   4 +-
 Documentation/git-index-pack.adoc             |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-log.adoc                    |   6 +-
 Documentation/git-merge-tree.adoc             |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-multi-pack-index.adoc       |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-p4.adoc                     |   1 +
 Documentation/git-pack-objects.adoc           |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-pull.adoc                   |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-push.adoc                   |  18 +-
 Documentation/git-range-diff.adoc             |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-read-tree.adoc              |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-rebase.adoc                 |   2 +-
 Documentation/git-refs.adoc                   |  20 +-
 Documentation/git-reset.adoc                  |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-send-email.adoc             |  30 +-
 Documentation/git-send-pack.adoc              |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-submodule.adoc              |   6 +-
 Documentation/git-svn.adoc                    |   2 +
 Documentation/git-update-index.adoc           |  12 +-
 Documentation/git-upload-pack.adoc            |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-worktree.adoc               |  12 +-
 Documentation/gitprotocol-http.adoc           |   2 +-
 Documentation/gitsubmodules.adoc              |   3 +-
 Documentation/gitweb.conf.adoc                |   2 +-
 Documentation/lint-delimited-sections.perl    |  48 ++++
 Documentation/lint-documentation-style.perl   |  33 +++
 Documentation/lint-gitlink.perl               |   7 +
 Documentation/merge-options.adoc              |   3 +-
 Documentation/mergetools/vimdiff.adoc         |   8 +
 Documentation/scalar.adoc                     |  18 +-
 Documentation/technical/api-path-walk.adoc    |   5 +-
 .../long-running-process-protocol.adoc        |   1 +
 shared.mak                                    |   2 +
 56 files changed, 445 insertions(+), 231 deletions(-)
 create mode 100755 Documentation/lint-delimited-sections.perl
 create mode 100755 Documentation/lint-documentation-style.perl

base-commit: 112648dd6bdd8e4f485cd0ae11636807959d48be
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1945%2Fjnavila%2Fdoc_linting-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1945/jnavila/doc_linting-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1945
-- 
gitgitgadget