Subject: [PATCH v2 0/6] Introduce more doc linting

From: "Jean-Noël Avila via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2025 19:10:39 +0000

Reviewing the documentation part of the last patches, it turns out that the
majority of my comments are related to the latest documentation guidelines
which are both easy to forget and almost trivial to automatically check.

This series implements the automatic tests for basic doc rules. At the
moment it conflicts with "[GSoC][PATCH v6 0/6] Add refs list subcommand" and
possibly with "[PATCH v4 0/9] refs: fix migration of reflog entries"

Jean-Noël Avila (6):
  doc: test linkgit macros for well-formedness
  doc: check well-formedness of delimited sections
  doc: check for absence of multiple terms in each entry of desc list
  doc: check for absence of the form --[no-]parameter
  doc:git-for-each-ref: fix styling and typos
  doc lint: check that synopsis manpages have synopsis inlines

 Documentation/Makefile                        |  21 +-
 Documentation/RelNotes/1.6.2.4.adoc           |   1 +
 Documentation/blame-options.adoc              |   3 +-
 Documentation/diff-format.adoc                |   1 +
 Documentation/diff-options.adoc               |   3 +-
 Documentation/fetch-options.adoc              |  15 +-
 Documentation/git-am.adoc                     |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-backfill.adoc               |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-cat-file.adoc               |   6 +-
 Documentation/git-check-attr.adoc             |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-check-ignore.adoc           |   9 +-
 Documentation/git-check-ref-format.adoc       |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-checkout.adoc               |   2 +-
 Documentation/git-clone.adoc                  |  12 +-
 Documentation/git-commit-graph.adoc           |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-commit.adoc                 |   4 +-
 Documentation/git-config.adoc                 |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-difftool.adoc               |   9 +-
 Documentation/git-fast-import.adoc            |   5 +-
 Documentation/git-fmt-merge-msg.adoc          |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-for-each-ref.adoc           | 264 +++++++++---------
 Documentation/git-format-patch.adoc           |  12 +-
 Documentation/git-fsck.adoc                   |   9 +-
 Documentation/git-gc.adoc                     |   6 +-
 Documentation/git-http-fetch.adoc             |   4 +-
 Documentation/git-index-pack.adoc             |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-log.adoc                    |   6 +-
 Documentation/git-merge-tree.adoc             |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-multi-pack-index.adoc       |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-p4.adoc                     |   1 +
 Documentation/git-pack-objects.adoc           |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-pull.adoc                   |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-push.adoc                   |  18 +-
 Documentation/git-range-diff.adoc             |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-read-tree.adoc              |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-rebase.adoc                 |   2 +-
 Documentation/git-refs.adoc                   |  20 +-
 Documentation/git-reset.adoc                  |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-send-email.adoc             |  30 +-
 Documentation/git-send-pack.adoc              |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-submodule.adoc              |   6 +-
 Documentation/git-svn.adoc                    |   2 +
 Documentation/git-update-index.adoc           |  12 +-
 Documentation/git-upload-pack.adoc            |   3 +-
 Documentation/git-worktree.adoc               |  12 +-
 Documentation/gitprotocol-http.adoc           |   2 +-
 Documentation/gitsubmodules.adoc              |   3 +-
 Documentation/gitweb.conf.adoc                |   2 +-
 Documentation/lint-delimited-sections.perl    |  48 ++++
 Documentation/lint-documentation-style.perl   |  33 +++
 Documentation/lint-gitlink.perl               |   7 +
 Documentation/merge-options.adoc              |   3 +-
 Documentation/mergetools/vimdiff.adoc         |   8 +
 Documentation/scalar.adoc                     |  18 +-
 Documentation/technical/api-path-walk.adoc    |   5 +-
 .../long-running-process-protocol.adoc        |   1 +
 shared.mak                                    |   2 +
 57 files changed, 446 insertions(+), 232 deletions(-)
 create mode 100755 Documentation/lint-delimited-sections.perl
 create mode 100755 Documentation/lint-documentation-style.perl

base-commit: 112648dd6bdd8e4f485cd0ae11636807959d48be
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1945%2Fjnavila%2Fdoc_linting-v2
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1945/jnavila/doc_linting-v2
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1945

Range-diff vs v1:

 1:  e79bd6a67ef = 1:  e79bd6a67ef doc: test linkgit macros for well-formedness
 2:  322df2d8dde = 2:  322df2d8dde doc: check well-formedness of delimited sections
 3:  5806390052b = 3:  5806390052b doc: check for absence of multiple terms in each entry of desc list
 4:  03a8428849f = 4:  03a8428849f doc: check for absence of the form --[no-]parameter
 5:  713c86dae92 = 5:  713c86dae92 doc:git-for-each-ref: fix styling and typos
 6:  e03f3f5c55a ! 6:  d57478ea5cd doc lint: check that synopsis manpages have synopsis inlines
     @@ Commit message
      
          Signed-off-by: Jean-Noël Avila <[email-masked]>
      
     + ## Documentation/git-checkout.adoc ##
     +@@ Documentation/git-checkout.adoc: include::diff-context-options.adoc[]
     + 	separated with _NUL_ character and all other characters are taken
     + 	literally (including newlines and quotes).
     + 
     +-<branch>::
     ++`<branch>`::
     + 	Branch to checkout; if it refers to a branch (i.e., a name that,
     + 	when prepended with "refs/heads/", is a valid ref), then that
     + 	branch is checked out. Otherwise, if it refers to a valid
     +
       ## Documentation/git-refs.adoc ##
      @@ Documentation/git-refs.adoc: This command provides low-level access to refs.
       COMMANDS
     @@ Documentation/lint-documentation-style.perl: while (my $line = <>) {
      +	if ($line =~ /^\[synopsis\]$/) {
      +		$synopsis_style = 1;
      +	}
     -+	if (($line =~ /^-[-a-z].*(::|;;)$/) && ($synopsis_style)) {
     ++	if (($line =~ /^(-[-a-z].*|<[-a-z0-9]+>(\.{3})?)(::|;;)$/) && ($synopsis_style)) {
      +			report($line, "synopsis style and definition list item not backquoted");
      +	}
       }

-- 
gitgitgadget