Subject: [PATCH 0/5] doc: git-rebase: clarify DESCRIPTION section

From: "Julia Evans via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2025 15:24:20 +0000

This patch series reorganizes the DESCRIPTION section of the git rebase man
page. My goal is to make the page more accessible to git newcomers (who from
my experience have an extremely difficult time understanding git man pages)
while keeping the exact same information available for more advanced users.
This series:

 * puts more commonly used information first (a basic example of a rebase
   and "how to fix merge conflicts" are moved to before "how rebase modifies
   ORIG_HEAD" and "what git rebase <upstream> <branch> does")
 * removes duplication
 * more closely parallels the git merge man page's structure by starting it
   with the same example history
 * moves the --onto examples to their own section

I've never contributed to Git before so I'd appreciate any pointers to past
discussions of Git's documentation philosophy or who the target audience for
Git documentation is.

Julia Evans (5):
  doc: git-rebase: start with an example
  doc: git rebase: dedup merge conflict discussion
  doc: git rebase: clarify arguments syntax
  doc: git-rebase: move --onto explanation down
  doc: git-rebase: update discussion of internals

 Documentation/git-rebase.adoc | 287 ++++++++++++++++------------------
 1 file changed, 139 insertions(+), 148 deletions(-)

base-commit: 64cbe5e2e8a7b0f92c780b210e602496bd5cad0f
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1949%2Fjvns%2Fclarify-rebase-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1949/jvns/clarify-rebase-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1949
-- 
gitgitgadget