Subject: [PATCH 0/5] doc: git-add: clarify DESCRIPTION section

From: "Julia Evans via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2025 20:07:24 +0000

This patch series aims to make the git add man page more accessible to Git
users who are less familiar with git jargon like "working tree" or "index"
while communicating the same information for advanced users.

Some notes:

 1. I'm not sure about the SYNOPSIS changes, it seems useful to have a
    reminder near the top of what some commonly used options are, like
    [--patch | -p] but also I find listing all of the options at the
    beginning really distracts me from the command's core syntax.
 2. I know there's a longstanding discussion about the use of the terms
    "index", "cache" and "staging area". I've tried to address that as best
    as I could.

Julia Evans (5):
  doc: git-add: remove options from SYNOPSIS
  doc: git-add: start man page with an example
  doc: git-add: simplify discussion of ignored files
  doc: git-add: make explanation less dry
  doc: git-add: explain inconsistent terminology

 Documentation/git-add.adoc | 72 +++++++++++++++++++-------------------
 1 file changed, 36 insertions(+), 36 deletions(-)

base-commit: 2c2ba49d55ff26c1082b8137b1ec5eeccb4337d1
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1952%2Fjvns%2Fclarify-add-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1952/jvns/clarify-add-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1952
-- 
gitgitgadget