Subject: [PATCH 0/5] doc: git-checkout: clarify DESCRIPTION section

From: "Julia Evans via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2025 19:08:48 +0000

I got feedback from 21 Git users on the current version of the git checkout
man page to figure out what's confusing about the current text. The goal
here is to clarify the parts of the man page they found the most confusing,
while accurately communicating the same information as before.

About 50% of the users who gave the feedback said they've been using Git for
5-10 years and 50% have been using Git for 10+ years.

Julia Evans (5):
  doc: git-checkout: clarify intro
  doc: git-checkout: clarify `git checkout <branch>`
  doc: git-checkout: don't use "reset"
  doc: git-checkout: deduplicate --detach explanation
  doc: git-checkout: clarify restoring files section

 Documentation/git-checkout.adoc | 94 ++++++++++++++++-----------------
 1 file changed, 47 insertions(+), 47 deletions(-)

base-commit: c44beea485f0f2feaf460e2ac87fdd5608d63cf0
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1962%2Fjvns%2Fclarify-checkout-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1962/jvns/clarify-checkout-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1962
-- 
gitgitgadget