Subject: [PATCH 0/4] doc: git-pull: clarify DESCRIPTION section

From: "Julia Evans via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2025 19:44:58 +0000

I got feedback from 15 Git users on the current git pull man page, using
this tool: https://text-feedback.wizardzines.com/git-pull.

My goals here are to be clear about the relationship between git pull and
fetch/merge/rebase etc, make sure users know the current default for git
pull (--ff-only) since some folks still remember the old default, and to
help users quickly figure out what command they need to run to
merge/rebase/squash/etc.

I've taken a pretty aggressive approach because I think it's possible to
have a pretty short and focused DESCRIPTION section here while keeping the
most important info. Open to hearing that I've removed too much.

This references the UPSTREAM BRANCHES section from
https://lore.kernel.org/git/0ec6[email-masked]/
, so if that isn't merged I'll need to revisit the approach here.

Julia Evans (4):
  doc: git-pull: move <repository> and <refspec> params
  doc: git-pull: clarify options for integrating remote branch
  doc: git-pull: delete the example
  doc: git-pull: clarify how to exit a conflicted merge

 Documentation/git-pull.adoc | 86 ++++++++++++++-----------------------
 1 file changed, 32 insertions(+), 54 deletions(-)

base-commit: ca2559c1d630eb4f04cdee2328aaf1c768907a9e
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1976%2Fjvns%2Fclarify-pull-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1976/jvns/clarify-pull-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1976
-- 
gitgitgadget