Subject: [PATCH 0/4] doc: git-reset: clarify DESCRIPTION section

From: "Julia Evans via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2025 20:05:54 +0000

I got feedback from 24 Git users about the current git reset man page, using
this tool: https://text-feedback.wizardzines.com/git-reset.

My main goals here are to highlight the git reset [--soft | --hard |
--mixed...] <commit> use of git reset that many users commenting said they
considered the "main" use (which is currently at the end), explain how
--soft, --hard and --mixed work more clearly, and to avoid using terminology
that users don't understand when that's realistic.

Like we discussed with git checkout, there's some tension about using the
word "index" since on one hand many users don't know what it means, but on
the other hand (especially with commands like git reset --hard) it gets very
awkward to talk about what's going on precisely without using that word,
since the index is a core concept in Git's data model. I've done my best
here to use the word "index" where I think it's appropriate and use the word
"staged" otherwise.

There were also quite a few comments about the EXAMPLES section which I
think could also be made clearer, but I'll defer that to a separate patch
series to keep the size of this one under control.

Julia Evans (4):
  doc: git-reset: reorder the forms
  doc: git-reset: clarify intro
  doc: git-reset: clarify `git reset [mode]`
  doc: git-reset: clarify `git reset <pathspec>`

 Documentation/git-reset.adoc | 102 +++++++++++++++++------------------
 1 file changed, 51 insertions(+), 51 deletions(-)

base-commit: a483264b01b977f3e65a4419103c21e6af7412a2
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-1991%2Fjvns%2Fclarify-reset-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-1991/jvns/clarify-reset-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/1991
-- 
gitgitgadget