Subject: [PATCH 0/5] Audit and document Scalar config

From: "Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2025 22:18:31 +0000

In September [1], we discussed that the Scalar config options could use some
documented justification as well as some comments to the config file that
they were set by Scalar. I was then immediately distracted by other work
things and am finally here with a series to do just that.

[1]
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

I have indeed used Patrick's idea to add '# set by scalar' to each line
added by Scalar, it took a little more work for all the kinds of config set.
I made myself a co-author.

While working to justify each config option, I found some stale or incorrect
config options. I also relaxed the override setting in most cases which gave
me an opportunity to alphabetize the settings.

There was at least one case (I'm thinking of core.fscache here) where the
config doesn't even exist in core Git, but instead in Git for Windows. We'll
need to adjust in that fork to reinclude it in the right place.

Thanks, -Stolee

Derrick Stolee (5):
  scalar: annotate config file with "set by scalar"
  scalar: use index.skipHash=true for performance
  scalar: remove stale config values
  scalar: alphabetize and simplify config
  scalar: document config settings

 Documentation/scalar.adoc | 158 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 scalar.c                  |  81 ++++++++++---------
 t/t9210-scalar.sh         |  26 ++++---
 3 files changed, 218 insertions(+), 47 deletions(-)

base-commit: 6ab38b7e9cc7adafc304f3204616a4debd49c6e9
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-2010%2Fderrickstolee%2Fscalar-config-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-2010/derrickstolee/scalar-config-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/2010
-- 
gitgitgadget