Subject: [PATCH] test-lib: respect GIT_TEST_INSTALLED when querying default hash

From: "Kyle Lippincott via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2025 18:57:54 +0000

From: Kyle Lippincott <[email-masked]>

$GIT_TEST_INSTALLED can be set to use an "installed" git instead of the
one from $GIT_BUILD_DIR. This is used by my company's internal test
infrastructure, and not using $GIT_TEST_INSTALLED when querying the
default hash meant that the tests were failing because the hash was
effectively set to the empty string (since git didn't execute).

In the two places we attempt to detect/execute git itself prior to
overriding everything and putting it in $PATH, use identical logic for
identifying the git binary to execute. This also has the effect of
including the $X suffix when querying the default hash, but that's not
strictly necessary. You don't need to specify .exe when running a binary
on Windows, just when testing whether it exists or not.

Signed-off-by: Kyle Lippincott <[email-masked]>
---
    test-lib: respect GIT_TEST_INSTALLED when querying default hash

Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-git-2011%2Fspectral54%2Fdefault_hash_respect_git_test_installed-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-git-2011/spectral54/default_hash_respect_git_test_installed-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/git/git/pull/2011

 t/test-lib.sh | 5 +++--
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/t/test-lib.sh b/t/test-lib.sh
index 6dc2022ee10..621cd31ae1d 100644
--- a/t/test-lib.sh
+++ b/t/test-lib.sh
@@ -134,7 +134,8 @@ export GIT_TEST_DEFAULT_INITIAL_BRANCH_NAME
 
 ################################################################
 # It appears that people try to run tests without building...
-"${GIT_TEST_INSTALLED:-$GIT_BUILD_DIR}/git$X" >/dev/null
+GIT_BINARY="${GIT_TEST_INSTALLED:-$GIT_BUILD_DIR}/git$X"
+"$GIT_BINARY" >/dev/null
 if test $? != 1
 then
 	if test -n "$GIT_TEST_INSTALLED"
@@ -536,7 +537,7 @@ export GIT_COMMITTER_EMAIL GIT_COMMITTER_NAME
 export GIT_COMMITTER_DATE GIT_AUTHOR_DATE
 export EDITOR
 
-GIT_TEST_BUILTIN_HASH=$("$GIT_BUILD_DIR/git" version --build-options | sed -ne 's/^default-hash: //p')
+GIT_TEST_BUILTIN_HASH=$("$GIT_BINARY" version --build-options | sed -ne 's/^default-hash: //p')
 GIT_DEFAULT_HASH="${GIT_TEST_DEFAULT_HASH:-$GIT_TEST_BUILTIN_HASH}"
 export GIT_DEFAULT_HASH
 GIT_DEFAULT_REF_FORMAT="${GIT_TEST_DEFAULT_REF_FORMAT:-files}"

base-commit: e9779f64349fbcc8d177d055208039877316e652
-- 
gitgitgadget