Subject: [PATCH 0/5] Last preparations before upstreaming Git for Windows' symlink support

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2025 15:33:44 +0000

After preparing Git's test suite for the upcoming support for symlinks on
Windows, this patch series touches up a couple of code paths that might not
seem to be related at first, but need to be adjusted for the symlink support
to work as expected.

This is based on js/test-symlink-windows.

Johannes Schindelin (2):
  mingw: do resolve symlinks in `getcwd()`
  init: do parse _all_ core.* settings early

Karsten Blees (3):
  strbuf_readlink(): avoid calling `readlink()` twice in corner-cases
  strbuf_readlink(): support link targets that exceed PATH_MAX
  trim_last_path_component(): avoid hard-coding the directory separator

 compat/mingw.c | 18 +++++++-----------
 environment.c  |  4 ++--
 environment.h  |  2 ++
 lockfile.c     |  4 ++--
 setup.c        |  2 +-
 strbuf.c       | 10 ++++------
 6 files changed, 18 insertions(+), 22 deletions(-)

base-commit: 77dfd223aa5b180d69cb2da54f6a7859fb94e131
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-2017%2Fdscho%2Flast-preparations-before-mingw-symlinks-support-next-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-2017/dscho/last-preparations-before-mingw-symlinks-support-next-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/2017
-- 
gitgitgadget