Subject: [PATCH 0/4] trace2: add macOS and Windows process ancestry tracing

From: "Matthew John Cheetham via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2026 16:05:06 +0000

In 353d3d77 (trace2: collect Windows-specific process information)
Windows-specific process ancestry information was added as a data_json event
to TRACE2. Furthermore in 2f732bf1 (tr2: log parent process name) similar
functionality was added for Linux-based systems, using procfs.

Let's teach Git on macOS to also gather process ancestry information, and
emit it as a cmd_ancestry TRACE2 event.

Furthermore, let's refactor the Windows implementation to align with the
Linux and macOS versions - by emitting the ancestry information as a
cmd_ancestry event. We keep the older, custom data_json event type on
Windows for compatibility for consumers of the TRACE2 data that use the
older event.

Thanks, Matthew

Matthew John Cheetham (4):
  trace2: add macOS process ancestry tracing
  build: include procinfo.c impl for macOS
  trace2: refactor Windows process ancestry trace2 event
  trace2: emit cmd_ancestry data for Windows

 compat/darwin/procinfo.c                 | 99 ++++++++++++++++++++++++
 compat/win32/trace2_win32_process_info.c | 58 ++++++++------
 config.mak.uname                         |  2 +
 contrib/buildsystems/CMakeLists.txt      |  2 +
 meson.build                              |  2 +
 5 files changed, 138 insertions(+), 25 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 compat/darwin/procinfo.c

base-commit: 9a2fb147f2c61d0cab52c883e7e26f5b7948e3ed
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-2040%2Fmjcheetham%2Ftrace2-macos-ancestry-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-2040/mjcheetham/trace2-macos-ancestry-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/2040
-- 
gitgitgadget