Subject: [PATCH 0/5] gitweb: fix broken mobile layouts across views

From: "Rito via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2026 23:17:13 +0000

Summary
=======

This patch series fixes mobile responsiveness bugs that currently break page
layouts in gitweb. The approach is adaptive rather than transformative:
preserve legacy desktop layout, add targeted mobile constraints at ≤768, and
prevent content from escaping its containers and breaking the layout.

Rationale
=========

Software development has traditionally been desktop-first and remains the
primary environment, but common contributor tasks like browsing history,
reading logs, reviewing diffs, and sharing links are increasingly done on
mobile devices while away from the workstation. This patch series aims to
support the emerging need by improving day-to-day usability for contributors
accessing gitweb on small screens.

Before and After Screenshots
============================

Projects
========

Before projects-BEFORE
[https://github.com/user-attachments/assets/0742999e-99b7-46df-9a40-4283fd861e86]

After projects-AFTER
[https://github.com/user-attachments/assets/5926be36-626e-4fd4-9aee-91d87557693b]

Log
===

Before log-BEFORE
[https://github.com/user-attachments/assets/6f64ffea-0975-4d67-a1b4-35b471986ab0]

After Note: certain inputs contain non-breaking/escaped spaces (e.g., NBSP),
so the renderer treats the surrounding text as a single long continous
string. Under constrained widths this can present as “mid-word” wrapping,
but it is the correct handling of long strings; addressing that is a
content-normalization concern, not a layout concern. log-AFTER
[https://github.com/user-attachments/assets/f8852e95-4f31-4337-9b21-6d94232b1be7]

Commitdiff
==========

Before commitdiff-BEFORE
[https://github.com/user-attachments/assets/8bf8a9a7-8cab-4ba8-a7de-166410a5c52e]

After (Pre-scroll) commitdiff-AFTER-prescroll
[https://github.com/user-attachments/assets/fa00f6fa-fc20-4391-9066-a489f0625af5]

After (Post-scroll) Scrolling the tables to reveal the contents to the right
commitdiff-AFTER-postScroll
[https://github.com/user-attachments/assets/74ae24e0-e279-4582-8fa2-1634fe3133ec]

Commit & Footer
===============

Before Also notice the footer text wrapping down outside the footer
background along with the two buttons commit-BEFORE
[https://github.com/user-attachments/assets/1ec00258-fb71-44e9-8e8e-beaaab6cfd13]

After (Pre-scroll) commit-AFTER-prescroll
[https://github.com/user-attachments/assets/78ac7f13-9e1f-403c-9ae9-b37d82d4aa4e]

After (Post-scroll) Scrolling the table to reveal the contents to the right
commit-AFTER-postScroll
[https://github.com/user-attachments/assets/8650f835-cdc3-4b11-ae1e-1229fc88e352]

Tree
====

Before tree-BEFORE
[https://github.com/user-attachments/assets/35a5db37-0450-4eee-91de-777259a49214]

After (Pre-scroll) tree-AFTER-prescroll
[https://github.com/user-attachments/assets/d993f3be-65df-48db-af38-4a3d13158f20]

After (Post-scroll) Scrolling the table to reveal the contents to the right

tree-AFTER-postScroll
[https://github.com/user-attachments/assets/1faa3184-0d63-455d-a341-c01ecf741be2]

Rito Rhymes (5):
  gitweb: add viewport meta tag for mobile devices
  gitweb: prevent project search bar from overflowing on mobile
  gitweb: fix mobile page overflow across log/commit/blob/diff views
  gitweb: fix mobile footer overflow by wrapping text and clearing
    floats
  gitweb: let page header grow on mobile for long wrapped project names

 gitweb/gitweb.perl       |  1 +
 gitweb/static/gitweb.css | 74 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++--
 2 files changed, 73 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

base-commit: b2826b52eb7caff9f4ed6e85ec45e338bf02ad09
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-2043%2Fritovision%2Fgitweb-mobile-responsive-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-2043/ritovision/gitweb-mobile-responsive-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/2043
-- 
gitgitgadget