Subject: [PATCH 0/2] line-log: fix -L with pickaxe options

From: "Michael Montalbo via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2026 19:11:22 +0000

This series fixes a crash in git log -L when combined with pickaxe options
(-G, -S, or --find-object) on a history involving renames, reported in [1].

The crash bisects to a2bb801f6a (line-log: avoid unnecessary full tree
diffs, 2019-08-21), which made the diffcore_std() call in queue_diffs()
unconditional. Before that commit, the same combination silently truncated
history at rename boundaries rather than crashing. The root cause is that
diffcore_std() runs diffcore_pickaxe(), which may discard diff pairs needed
for rename detection.

Patch 1 fixes the crash by calling diffcore_rename() directly instead of
diffcore_std(), and adds tests including known-breakage markers showing that
the pickaxe options are silently ignored by -L.

Patch 2 explicitly rejects the unsupported combination with die(), replacing
the known-breakage tests with rejection tests.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/git/aac-QdjY1ohAqgw_@desktop/

Michael Montalbo (2):
  line-log: fix crash when combined with pickaxe options
  log: reject pickaxe options when combined with -L

 builtin/log.c       |  4 ++++
 line-log.c          |  8 +++++++-
 t/t4211-line-log.sh | 15 +++++++++++++++
 3 files changed, 26 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

base-commit: 67ad42147a7acc2af6074753ebd03d904476118f
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-2061%2Fmmontalbo%2Ffix-line-log-G-crash-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-2061/mmontalbo/fix-line-log-G-crash-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/2061
-- 
gitgitgadget