Subject: [PATCH] po: fix escaped underscores in README.md

From: "ions via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2025 11:30:35 +0000

From: ionnss <[email-masked]>

Remove unnecessary backslashes from language code examples.
The underscores in "ll\_CC" and "zh\_CN" don't need escaping
in Markdown.

Signed-off-by: ionnss <[email-masked]>
---
    po: fix escaped underscores in README.md

Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-git-2062%2Fionnss%2Fmaster-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-git-2062/ionnss/master-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/git/git/pull/2062

 po/README.md | 6 +++---
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git a/po/README.md b/po/README.md
index ec08aa24ad..d7757bed4e 100644
--- a/po/README.md
+++ b/po/README.md
@@ -13,9 +13,9 @@ We will use XX as an alias to refer to the language translation code in
 the following paragraphs, for example we use "po/XX.po" to refer to the
 translation file for a specific language. But this doesn't mean that
 the language code has only two letters. The language code can be in one
-of two forms: "ll" or "ll\_CC". Here "ll" is the ISO 639 two-letter
+of two forms: "ll" or "ll_CC". Here "ll" is the ISO 639 two-letter
 language code and "CC" is the ISO 3166 two-letter code for country names
-and subdivisions. For example: "de" for German language code, "zh\_CN"
+and subdivisions. For example: "de" for German language code, "zh_CN"
 for Simplified Chinese language code.

@@ -126,7 +126,7 @@ you add a translation for the first time by running:
 make po-init PO_FILE=po/XX.po
 ```
 
-where XX is the locale, e.g. "de", "is", "pt\_BR", "zh\_CN", etc.
+where XX is the locale, e.g. "de", "is", "pt_BR", "zh_CN", etc.
 
 The newly generated message file "po/XX.po" is based on the core pot
 file "po/git-core.pot", so it contains only a minimal set of messages

base-commit: bb69721404348ea2db0a081c41ab6ebfe75bdec8
-- 
gitgitgadget