Subject: [PATCH 00/17] tests: access bare repositories explicitly

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2026 14:33:06 +0000

The safe.bareRepository configuration variable (introduced in 8d1a7448206e)
allows restricting implicit bare repository discovery. Its default may well
change to "explicit" in Git v3.0, at which point any test that relies on
implicit discovery of a bare repository would break, even if the test
subject has nothing to do with bare repositories.

This series adjusts 16 test scripts and git-p4 so that they access bare
repositories explicitly. The techniques used are:

 * Replace git -C <bare-repo> ... with git --git-dir=<bare-repo> ...
 * Export GIT_DIR=. after cd-ing into a bare repository
 * Wrap commands in (GIT_DIR=<path> && export GIT_DIR && ...)
 * Add test_config_global safe.bareRepository all in the few tests where
   implicit discovery is genuinely part of what is being tested

Each commit is a self-contained fix to one test file (or a small related
group).

This patch series is part of https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/2072.

Johannes Schindelin (17):
  t0001: allow implicit bare repo discovery for aliased-command test
  t0001: replace `cd`+`git` with `git --git-dir` in `check_config`
  t0003: use `--git-dir` for bare repo attribute tests
  t0056: allow implicit bare repo discovery for `-C` work-tree tests
  t1020: use `--git-dir` instead of subshell for bare repo
  t1900: avoid using `-C <dir>` for a bare repository
  t2400: explicitly specify bare repo for `git worktree add`
  t2406: use `--git-dir=.` for bare repository worktree repair
  t5503: avoid discovering a bare repository
  t5505: export `GIT_DIR` after `git init --bare`
  t5509: specify bare repository path explicitly
  t5540/t5541: avoid accessing a bare repository via `-C <dir>`
  t5619: wrap `test_commit_bulk` in `GIT_DIR` subshell for bare repo
  t6020: use `-C` for worktree, `--git-dir` for bare repository
  t9210: pass `safe.bareRepository=all` to `scalar register`
  t9700: stop relying on implicit bare repo discovery
  git p4 clone --bare: need to be explicit about the gitdir

 git-p4.py                                  |  1 +
 t/lib-httpd.sh                             | 12 ++--
 t/t0001-init.sh                            |  5 +-
 t/t0003-attributes.sh                      | 66 +++++++++-------------
 t/t0056-git-C.sh                           |  2 +
 t/t1020-subdirectory.sh                    |  5 +-
 t/t1900-repo-info.sh                       |  7 ++-
 t/t2400-worktree-add.sh                    | 21 +++----
 t/t2406-worktree-repair.sh                 |  2 +-
 t/t5503-tagfollow.sh                       | 13 ++---
 t/t5505-remote.sh                          |  4 +-
 t/t5509-fetch-push-namespaces.sh           | 12 ++--
 t/t5619-clone-local-ambiguous-transport.sh |  2 +-
 t/t6020-bundle-misc.sh                     |  4 +-
 t/t9210-scalar.sh                          |  2 +-
 t/t9700/test.pl                            |  9 ++-
 16 files changed, 74 insertions(+), 93 deletions(-)

base-commit: cf2139f8e1680b076e115bc0b349e369b4b0ecc4
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-2076%2Fdscho%2Ftests-explicit-bare-repo-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-2076/dscho/tests-explicit-bare-repo-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/2076
-- 
gitgitgadget