Subject: [PATCH 0/3] Backfill fixes and edges

From: "Elijah Newren via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2026 23:57:59 +0000

This topic fixes a few minor issues in git backfill (from ds/backfill-revs
this cycle), although some might see the third patch as more feature than
fix, and the first two patches are pretty minor and probably do not merit
consideration before the release this late in the cycle.

Overview:

 * Patch 1: As a wise man once said, "Sending arbitrary command-line
   arguments to setup_revisions() creates an opportunity for behavior you
   are not expecting. For instance, can users...supply --first-parent? What
   happens if they add an --author filter?" ;-) I think these particular
   cases might work, but other rev-list options don't make sense, so let's
   error on ones that don't.
 * Patch 2: Making documentation more consistent with other commands
 * Patch 3: Tweak the ranges so we actually prevent on-demand blob
   downloading better with a new --[no-]include-edges flag.

Elijah Newren (3):
  backfill: reject rev-list arguments that do not make sense
  backfill: document acceptance of revision-range in more standard
    manner
  backfill: default to grabbing edge blobs too

 Documentation/git-backfill.adoc |  22 ++++++-
 builtin/backfill.c              |  31 ++++++++-
 t/t5620-backfill.sh             | 110 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++--
 3 files changed, 153 insertions(+), 10 deletions(-)

base-commit: 9f223ef1c026d91c7ac68cc0211bde255dda6199
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-2088%2Fnewren%2Fbackfill-fixes-and-edges-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-2088/newren/backfill-fixes-and-edges-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/2088
-- 
gitgitgadget