Subject: [PATCH 0/3] line-log: integrate -L with the standard log output pipeline

From: "Michael Montalbo via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2026 04:05:23 +0000

Since its introduction, git log -L has short-circuited from
log_tree_commit() into its own output function, bypassing log_tree_diff()
and log_tree_diff_flush(). This skips no_free save/restore,
always_show_header, diff_free() cleanup, and means that pickaxe (-S, -G,
--find-object) and --diff-filter cannot suppress commits whose pairs are all
filtered out, because show_log() runs before diffcore_std().

This series restructures the flow so that -L goes through the same
log_tree_diff() -> log_tree_diff_flush() path as normal single-parent and
merge diffs, then uses that to enable several non-patch diff formats.

Patch 1: revision: move -L setup before output_format-to-diff derivation

Preparatory reorder in setup_revisions(). The -L block sets a default
DIFF_FORMAT_PATCH when no format is requested; move it before the derivation
of revs->diff from output_format so the default is visible to that check. No
behavior change on its own.

Patch 2: line-log: integrate -L output with the standard log-tree pipeline

Rename line_log_print() to line_log_queue_pairs(), stripping it down to only
queue pre-computed filepairs. log_tree_diff_flush() handles show_log(),
diffcore_std(), and diff_flush(). This fixes pickaxe and --diff-filter
suppression, and aligns the commit/diff separator with the rest of log
output. Also rejects --full-diff, which is meaningless when filepairs are
pre-computed.

Patch 3: line-log: allow non-patch diff formats with -L

Expand the allowlist to accept --raw, --name-only, --name-status, and
--summary. These only read filepair metadata already set by the line-log
machinery. Diff stat formats (--stat, --numstat, --shortstat, --dirstat)
remain blocked because they call compute_diffstat() on full blob content and
would show whole-file statistics rather than range-scoped ones.

Michael Montalbo (3):
  revision: move -L setup before output_format-to-diff derivation
  line-log: integrate -L output with the standard log-tree pipeline
  line-log: allow non-patch diff formats with -L

 Documentation/line-range-options.adoc         | 10 +-
 line-log.c                                    | 30 ++----
 line-log.h                                    |  2 +-
 log-tree.c                                    |  9 +-
 revision.c                                    | 25 +++--
 t/t4211-line-log.sh                           | 99 ++++++++++++++++---
 t/t4211/sha1/expect.parallel-change-f-to-main |  1 -
 .../sha256/expect.parallel-change-f-to-main   |  1 -
 8 files changed, 120 insertions(+), 57 deletions(-)

base-commit: 9f223ef1c026d91c7ac68cc0211bde255dda6199
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-2094%2Fmmontalbo%2Fmm%2Fline-log-use-log-tree-diff-flush-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-2094/mmontalbo/mm/line-log-use-log-tree-diff-flush-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/2094
-- 
gitgitgadget