Subject: [PATCH 0/8] safe.bareRepository: default to "explicit" with WITH_BREAKING_CHANGES

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2026 15:01:09 +0000

This supersedes my earlier series [*1*] which took the approach of adjusting
individual tests to access bare repositories explicitly.

As Junio suggested [*2*], this series instead takes the approach of setting
safe.bareRepository=all in the test environment's global config whenever
WITH_BREAKING_CHANGES is in effect, so that existing tests continue to work
without individual modifications.

Implementing this turned out to require a number of follow-up adjustments,
because writing to $HOME/.gitconfig has side effects beyond the intended
setting: $HOME is the trash directory, which doubles as the test
repository's working tree, so the file shows up in ls-files and status
output, and tests that manipulate $HOME/.gitconfig for their own purposes
can clobber or remove the setting. Patches 2 through 7 address these
interactions in the affected test scripts.

The final patch flips the safe.bareRepository default to "explicit" under
WITH_BREAKING_CHANGES.

Footnote [*1*]:
https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Footnote [*2*]: https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Johannes Schindelin (8):
  test-lib: allow bare repository access when breaking changes are
    enabled
  t7900: do not let `$HOME/.gitconfig` interfere with XDG tests
  t1300: remove global config settings injected by test-lib.sh
  t1305: use `--git-dir=.` for bare repo in include cycle test
  t5601: restore `.gitconfig` after includeIf test
  ls-files tests: filter `.gitconfig` from `--others` output
  status tests: filter `.gitconfig` from status output
  safe.bareRepository: default to "explicit" with WITH_BREAKING_CHANGES

 Documentation/BreakingChanges.adoc            | 24 +++++++++++++++++
 Documentation/config/safe.adoc                | 10 +++++--
 setup.c                                       |  4 +++
 t/t0035-safe-bare-repository.sh               | 10 +++++--
 t/t1300-config.sh                             |  7 +++++
 t/t1305-config-include.sh                     |  4 +--
 t/t3000-ls-files-others.sh                    |  4 +++
 t/t3001-ls-files-others-exclude.sh            |  3 +++
 t/t3002-ls-files-dashpath.sh                  |  2 ++
 t/t3009-ls-files-others-nonsubmodule.sh       |  1 +
 ...common-prefixes-and-directory-traversal.sh |  3 ++-
 t/t5601-clone.sh                              |  4 ++-
 t/t7060-wtstatus.sh                           |  3 +--
 t/t7061-wtstatus-ignore.sh                    | 27 +++++++++++++++++++
 t/t7064-wtstatus-pv2.sh                       |  1 +
 t/t7104-reset-hard.sh                         |  2 +-
 t/t7508-status.sh                             |  4 +++
 t/t7521-ignored-mode.sh                       |  1 +
 t/t7900-maintenance.sh                        | 12 +++++++--
 t/test-lib-functions.sh                       |  8 ++++++
 t/test-lib.sh                                 |  6 +++++
 21 files changed, 127 insertions(+), 13 deletions(-)

base-commit: 94f057755b7941b321fd11fec1b2e3ca5313a4e0
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-2098%2Fdscho%2Fsafe-bare-repo-default-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-2098/dscho/safe-bare-repo-default-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/2098
-- 
gitgitgadget