Subject: [PATCH 0/5] Advice on checkout dirty files

From: "Arsh Srivastava via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2026 08:51:13 +0000

This is my submission for microproject [GSOC]

This patch adds a new advice type ADVICE_STASH_BEFORE_CHECKOUT to help users
when they attempt to switch branches with local modifications that would be
overwritten by the operation.

The new advice follows the same patterns established by existing advice
functions such as advise_on_updating_sparse_paths(). When triggered, it
lists the affected files and suggests using git stash push/pop to save and
restore local changes.

The advice can be silenced with:

git config set advice.stashBeforeCheckout false

Changes:

> advice.h: add ADVICE_STASH_BEFORE_CHECKOUT enum value advice.c: add
> "stashBeforeCheckout" to advice_setting[] and implement
> advise_on_checkout_dirty_files() function
> Documentation/config/advice.adoc: document the new advice key

Signed-off-by: Arsh Srivastava [email-masked]

Arsh Srivastava (1):
  advice: add stashBeforeCheckout advice for dirty branch switches

Junio C Hamano (1):
  The 13th batch

K Jayatheerth (1):
  repo: remove unnecessary variable shadow

LorenzoPegorari (2):
  diff: handle ANSI escape codes in prefix when calculating diffstat
    width
  t4052: test for diffstat width when prefix contains ANSI escape codes

 Documentation/RelNotes/2.54.0.adoc | 14 +++++++++++++
 Documentation/config/advice.adoc   |  5 +++++
 advice.c                           | 27 +++++++++++++++++++++++++
 advice.h                           |  2 ++
 builtin/repo.c                     |  1 -
 diff.c                             | 12 ++++-------
 t/t4052-stat-output.sh             | 32 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 7 files changed, 84 insertions(+), 9 deletions(-)

base-commit: 3fe08b8fd1f7731edabeab8138547ec88d6407de
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-git-2233%2FArsh123344423%2Fadvice_on_checkout_dirty_files-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-git-2233/Arsh123344423/advice_on_checkout_dirty_files-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/git/git/pull/2233
-- 
gitgitgadget