Subject: [PATCH 0/1] Teach the builtin rebase about the builtin interactive rebase

From: "Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 14:35:22 -0700 (PDT)

The builtin rebase and the builtin interactive rebase have been developed
independently, on purpose: Google Summer of Code rules specifically state
that students have to work on independent projects, they cannot collaborate
on the same project.

The reason is probably the very fine tradition in academia to prohibit
teamwork, which makes grading easier (at the expense of not exactly
preparing the students for the real world, unless they want to stay in
academia).

One fallout is that the rebase-in-c and rebase-i-in-c patches cause no merge
conflicts but a royal number of tests in the test suite to fail.

It is easy to explain why: rebase-in-c was developed under the assumption
that all rebase backends are implemented in Unix shell script and can be
sourced via . git-rebase--<backend>, which is no longer true with 
rebase-i-in-c, where git-rebase--interactive is a hard-linked builtin.

This patch fixes that.

Note: while this patch targets pk/rebase-in-c-6-final, it will not work
correctly without ag/rebase-i-in-c. So my suggestion is to rewrite the 
pk/rebas-in-c-6-final branch by first merging ag/rebase-i-in-c, then
applying this here patch, and only then cherry-pick "rebase: default to
using the builtin rebase".

Johannes Schindelin (1):
  builtin rebase: prepare for builtin rebase -i

 builtin/rebase.c | 81 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 1 file changed, 81 insertions(+)

base-commit: a5bb2345d2d414aba04e18531de1e0f041f0434a
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tags/pr-23%2Fdscho%2Frebase-in-c-6-final-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-23/dscho/rebase-in-c-6-final-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/23
-- 
gitgitgadget