Subject: [PATCH 00/11] [RFC] Create 'core.size=large' setting to update config defaults

From: "Derrick Stolee via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2019 13:18:18 -0700 (PDT)

This patch series includes a few new config options we created to speed up
certain critical commands in VFS for Git. On their own, they would
contribute little value as it is hard to discover new config variables.
Instead, I've created this RFC as a goal for probably three sequential patch
series:

 1. (Patches 1-3) Introduce a new 'core.size' config setting that takes
    'large' as a value. This enables several config values that are
    beneficial for large repos. We use a certain set in VFS for Git (see
    [1]), and most of those are applicable to any repo. This 'core.size'
    setting is intended for users to automatically receive performance
    updates as soon as they are stable, but they must opt-in to the setting
    and can always explicitly set their own config values. The settings to
    include here are core.commitGraph=true, gc.writeCommitGraph=true,
    index.version=4, pack.useSparse=true.

 2. (Patches 4-8) Introduce 'status.aheadBehind' to dictate if we use
    '--[no-]ahead-behind' during 'git status' calls. Also do some cleanup on
    the feature around porcelain formats. I adapted Jeff Hostetler's commits
    from microsoft/git for this section.

 3. (Patches 9-12) Introduce 'fetch.showForcedUpdates' and the associated
    '--[no-]show-forced-updates' option for 'git fetch' and 'git pull'
    calls. When fetching from a remote with many branches that move quickly,
    the check for forced updates can be expensive. Further, the only effects
    are a "(forced update)" indicator to stdout and a single bit in the
    reflog. The reflog bit is unfortunate to lose, but it is never trusted
    for important actions. These changes are likely to be more controversial
    than the others.

Hopefully this direction is amenable to allow "early adopters" gain access
to new performance features even if they are not necessary reading every
line of the release notes.

Thanks, -Stolee

[1] 
https://github.com/microsoft/VFSForGit/blob/6a7fd2ff50056b73b347b882d2b8d52939bd6419/GVFS/GVFS/CommandLine/GVFSVerb.cs#L122-L152
This code includes the settings we enable by default in VFS for Git
enlistments.

Derrick Stolee (8):
  repo-settings: create repo.size=large setting
  repo-settings: use index.version=4 by default
  repo-settings: pack.useSparse=true
  repo-settings: status.aheadBehind=false
  fetch: add --[no-]show-forced-updates argument
  fetch: warn about forced updates after branch list
  pull: add --[no-]show-forced-updates passthrough to fetch
  repo-settings: fetch.showForcedUpdates=false

Jeff Hostetler (3):
  status: add status.aheadbehind setting
  status: add warning when a/b calculation takes too long for
    long/normal format
  status: ignore status.aheadbehind in porcelain formats

 Documentation/config/core.txt   | 31 ++++++++++++++-
 Documentation/config/fetch.txt  |  5 +++
 Documentation/config/gc.txt     |  4 +-
 Documentation/config/index.txt  |  1 +
 Documentation/config/pack.txt   |  3 +-
 Documentation/config/status.txt |  6 +++
 Documentation/fetch-options.txt | 13 +++++++
 Makefile                        |  1 +
 advice.c                        |  2 +
 advice.h                        |  1 +
 builtin/commit.c                | 19 ++++++++-
 builtin/fetch.c                 | 34 ++++++++++++++++-
 builtin/gc.c                    |  6 +--
 builtin/pack-objects.c          |  9 +++--
 builtin/pull.c                  |  7 ++++
 commit-graph.c                  |  7 ++--
 read-cache.c                    | 12 +++---
 repo-settings.c                 | 68 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 repo-settings.h                 | 17 +++++++++
 repository.h                    |  3 ++
 t/t6040-tracking-info.sh        | 31 +++++++++++++++
 t/t7064-wtstatus-pv2.sh         |  8 ++++
 wt-status.c                     | 17 +++++++++
 23 files changed, 283 insertions(+), 22 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 repo-settings.c
 create mode 100644 repo-settings.h

base-commit: aa25c82427ae70aebf3b8f970f2afd54e9a2a8c6
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-254%2Fderrickstolee%2Fconfig-large%2Fupstream-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-254/derrickstolee/config-large/upstream-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/254
-- 
gitgitgadget