Subject: [PATCH 0/1] Adding git-ignore command, tests, and documentation.

From: "Thurston via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2019 19:49:33 -0700 (PDT)

git-ignore will allow users to quickly add entries to the gitignore files in
the repositories.

Many times, I'll have a config file or log file buried in a series of
sub-directories and find it frustrating to edit the right git ignore with
the right relative path to the file that i want to add. This script makes
adding items to a gitignore file easier.

Instead of managing paths and relative paths such as echo
"path/to/the/file.txt" >../../../../../../.gitignore git ignore
path/to/the/file.txt No matter what directory that is in, the correct
relative path will be added to the gitignore.

This script will also give the ability to add directories, extention globs,
and files to any gitignore in parent directories. Furthermore, it allows you
to easily open the gitignore file in your favorite editor from anywhere
using: git ignore --edit

I have been using this script for years and it has made things much easier
for me, so I figured I'd contribute.

Thurston Stone (1):
  Adding git ignore command

 .gitignore                   |   1 +
 Documentation/git-ignore.txt | 116 ++++++++++++++++++
 Makefile                     |   1 +
 git-ignore.sh                | 222 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 t/t7070-ignore.sh            | 180 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 5 files changed, 520 insertions(+)
 create mode 100644 Documentation/git-ignore.txt
 create mode 100755 git-ignore.sh
 create mode 100755 t/t7070-ignore.sh

base-commit: 8dca754b1e874719a732bc9ab7b0e14b21b1bc10
Published-As: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/releases/tag/pr-264%2Ftstone2077%2Fmaster-v1
Fetch-It-Via: git fetch https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git pr-264/tstone2077/master-v1
Pull-Request: https://github.com/gitgitgadget/git/pull/264
-- 
gitgitgadget